1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

split movie and ac3..

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by josssh, Feb 18, 2004.

1. josssh

josssh Member

Hi,
    I've got an avi file (xvid) with ac3 sound. but can I split the sound and movie to two files? the ac3 should stay ac3 sound! so not mpg2 or someting...
    thnx
    Jos

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Use Virtual Dub By Avery Lee and you can select source audio, which will use whatever is there already.
    It can chop your AVI into two smaller pieces (or three!) and then Robert is your father's brother.

3. josssh

josssh Member

I already tried that, but I don't know how to save the sound... I only can save as wav..

4. kaydi

kaydi Guest

Hello gentlemen:
    Please advise me on what is ac3 sound mean (I am really new at this). I have some avis files which I recorded from dvd with uncompressed audio output, and would like to separate the audio from these avis to create cd sound track (wave sound as possible) or at least save as mp3s. Is there anyway that I can do this using the Virtual Dube or any other program. Thanks a whole bunch.

5. taclark

taclark Guest

Okay. . .so we're all newbies (the blind leading the blind). Where have all the experts gone?

Kaydi,

You must be the newest newbie. Click on AC3 and the great design of this forum will take you to a glossary. You can also search terms within the forum to find relevant discussions.

jossh,

I may be mistaken about what you're trying to do, but this is what I'd suggest (I apologize if its too simplistic):

Use DVD Decrypter: Mode - IFO
    Instead of selecting "Input" choose "Stream Processing"
    Put a check mark in the "Enable Stream Processing" Box
    Select the files you want by unchecking all the others
    Of the three circles at the bottom, select Demux
    Then click the main Decryter button (disk icon)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Help! Please educate me.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2004
  6. josssh

josssh Member

with DVD Decrypter you can only rip an DVD, right?
    what I would do is make an DVD
    I have downloaded Underworld, with AC3 sound. but to make an DVD I have to split the movie and the sound. Now it is easy to just rip that sound, but than it is not AC3 anymore, and I want AC3..

7. taclark

taclark Guest

Demuxing in DVD Decrypter (as described above) separates the audio from the video and preserves the audio in the AC3 format.

8. josssh

josssh Member

but...
    I can only use that program with my dvd-drive, not my harddisk.. and I have an avi file wich I wanna split..

9. taclark

taclark Guest

Sorry. . .I read AC3 and missed the AVI altogether. I don't have experience with AVI and AC3 together.

10. taclark

taclark Guest

Do you have experience with BeSweet? I was just looking at it, and avi is among the many file types that it accepts. I didn't get an output option for AC3, but I'm assuming that's because I don't have an avi file with
    AC3. My avi samples all have mp2, so that was the only option I was given. But I've saved AC3 from movie files using BeSweet. It might work for you.

11. taclark

taclark Guest

I stumbled onto this information. It sounded like it may be relevant, but I wonder if its outdated.

Q: But how about my DivXs, I would love to watch them on my DVD player using DVD-Rs...?

A: Sh*t hap. Only way to do this is to re-encode the video and possibly change the audio. Complicated, specially if the audio is in AC3 format. And re-encoding _WILL_ lose quality, so the DVD-R version will look worse than your DivX. Anyway, if you insist again, use CCE or TMPGEnc to encode the video and if the audio is in AC3, use GraphEdit to Demux the audio into separate file from AVI and use it as it is to author the DVD. If the audio is in MP3 format, you need to use VirtualDub to save the audio in WAV format and use tooLAME (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_encoders/toolame.cfm) to encode it back to MP2 (note, TWO, not THREE) format. And if the audio is in 44.1kHz, the normal stuff -- use SSRC (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/ssrc.cfm) to change the frequency from 44.1kHz to 48kHz as DVD doesn't support 44.1kHz.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/5540

12. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

To demux the audio from the avi file and retain it as AC3 use Virtualdubmod.

Quick guide on how to do it can be found here

http://www.fixitsguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/avitodvdac3.htm

I am also sure theres another guide on THIS site.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.fixitsguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk[/small]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  13. taclark

taclark Guest

. . .But that sounds a lot simpler than all this other crap.

Thanks.

14. josssh

josssh Member

thnx FIXIT! it works really fine!

and Taclark, thnx for trying :)

15. kaydi

kaydi Guest

Hello gentlemen. I have succesfully extracted the wave audio from from my avis files and still working on putting them on cd. Since I used Veritas software to put the songs on cd, my cd player doesn't like it (error: bad disk). Any hint on which software to create an auto run to go on the cd would be greatly appreciated. Secondly, I realized that what josssh was doing was preferably saving the ac3 over wave. This is very interesting to me and I really want to know more about this. So here are my questions to josssh and to you guys. If you have a separate ac3 sound file, can you play it separately like playing wave file on your computer/cd player/dvd player? I tried like josssh to save the ac3 sound out of my avis file to see what coming out - just for the heck of it. Unfortunately, my avis file contains "avis audio stream 1(tag 0x0001, PCM), so I got no ac3. It took me several times to flash the vob files to get the acceptable result, and the options was Window media 9 (640x480) for video and uncompressed for audio. The size of each song is 5 to 6 min and approx. 120mb to 200mb. Is there anyway that I can do better? How do I specified in the flask program to achieve the ac3 audio output? Once I have avi files with ac3, is it possible that I can convert these avi files and create a dvd? Thank you for your advice.

16. josssh

josssh Member

I didn't burn the AC3 file yet, but I can play it on my pc, with Windows Media Player.
    have you fixed your ac3 file with BeSliced? as described on the site FIXIT gave?
    and how I make an DVD is:
    First get out the AC3 file from the avi
    Then encode the avi to a valid mpg2 for DVD Pal with TMPGEnc
    and then I import the mpg and ac3 files to Spruce DVD Meastro and make the DVD as I want
    and the last thing is burn with Nero

17. kaydi

kaydi Guest

thnks josssh very much for the directions.
    I haven't tried beslided yet since I didn't have the avis with ac3 audio to start with. That was my other question and it was...
    How do I specified in flask program in the "audio section" so that I can have the ac3 in it?
    I will try the dvd creation that josssh showed me. I take one step at a time and may come up with questions.
    Thank you josssh for not going any where...hehehe.

18. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

to answer the last question first yes u can convert avi files with pretty much any audio source to dvd there are a few ways to do it, the way i do it can be found here
    http://www.fixitsguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/avitodvd.htm

that guide will also give you some ide how to convert a wav or even pcm file to AC3 aswell, The PCM audio stream wont conver to ac3 in virtual dub but it is possible to save to wav and then convert to ac3 with a program like AC3 machine which is a GUI for besweet. this is how i do mine in the above guide.

19. kaydi

kaydi Guest

Thank you fixit. I went to the site you showed and found a lot of stuff there. This would take a while to digest all of it. What concerns me is the possibility of audio out of sync when putting the mpeg2 and ac3 together. But it would be a little while till I get there. I appreciate all your help, guys...

20. kaydi

kaydi Guest

Hello fixit.

I have tried the ac3 conversion using the instructions in the link you gave me. I installed the programs exactly as described - ac3machine and besweet.
    I created the wave file using virtualdub and then run ac3machine.
    When I clicked on "give me the ac3", I received only a flash of a "dos run" with nothing written in it and nothing happened.

I have msvbvm60.dll - 08/29/02 The latest?
    What is your thought, gentlemen?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2004