1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

split picture and other strange problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EmmettA, Sep 6, 2004.

1. EmmettA

EmmettA Member

I recently experienced a massive computer crash. I was forced to reformat. When I re-installed Windows XP, I also installed my first DVDR drive. I have installed the Nero OEM Suite that came with the burner, Winamp, The latest DivX player, DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink. When I try to watch a DVD (retail) or an AVI that worked fine before the crash, I get a picture that has been split with a vertical line down the center and mirror images on either side of the center. Even the FBI warning and menu are split. I have searched the forums, as well as the web and cannot find anyone else who has had this problem. Could this be a video card driver problem? I thought about codecs, but with Nero and DivX, I would think the codecs would be there. The monitor image is displayed fine, but the video within any player is bad.

The other problem I'm having is with trying to backup a DVD. This, I suppose, could be related to the other problem. I have tried X Copy Xpress and DVD Decrypter with DVD Shrink. The disc looks like it's burning okay, but it burns in about 15 minutes...Which should be impossible as I'm only burning at 4X. But after it burns, I look at the disc surface and it appears to be written nearly to the edge. The disc will play in a normal DVD player through about chapter 14 (out of 30) and then it stops.

I'm using a Toshiba 8X DVD+-R/+-RW writer with Promedia 4X DVD+R media.
    Windows XP Professional.
    320mb/ram.
    AMD 1.53 Athlon.
    28 gigs free HD space.

Thanks for you help. Great forum!

2. EmmettA

EmmettA Member

Got it. It was my mobo and chipset drivers.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

ya gotta love a guy/girl that solves their own problem and still thanks everyone!! :)
    if i havent already done it,welcome to the forum and come back soon