1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting a 3 hour movie in half: HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JimiMack, Mar 10, 2005.

1. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

Okay, I'm trying to burn "Fiddler on the Roof" for someone, but the movie is soooo loooong, when I burn it using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 the quality is so bad that I'd be embarrassed to give it away. (Especially after bragging about burning movies.)The picture is all broken up and just looks like a big moving jigsaw puzzle.

Is there a way to break this 3 hour movie into 2 90 minute discs, with the software I am using? If I need something else (other software) to use to split these up, please help me out. I'd appreciate it.

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Sounds like you have got some pixelation going in your backup, try using a better quality media. I have used CloneDVD2 to backup Titanic and it came out fine, now that is a long movie.

3. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

The burn was done on a Verbatim DVD+R. Should I try again? Maybe it was just a bad burn?

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

What speed are you burning at? I usually do 4x, and Verbatim is a good quality media, but it could be bad disk.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you still are having problems. There is a guide for doing this at my website (link in sig) using DVD Shrink its called "How to make 1:1 copy using Shrink"
    This is how I do all my really large movies to get the best possible picture.

Or you can just try DVD Copy3 it is much better at handeling compression than CloneDVD2.. I pretty much use only CloneDVD2 unless I need a lot of compression then I pull out DVDCopy3..

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi JimiMack, welcome to aD,

CloneDVD2 is an excellent program for much smaller DVD's - say those that require 93% compression OR less.

I would like to see you try DVD Shrink with Deep Analysis and Maximum Sharpness in the quality conrol settings.

I have a simple, no education or checkbook required guide in my sig under DVD Decrypter and Recode OR DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. As long as you edit out all the extras the quality should be fine. Nero will give you that choice and let you maintain your menus.

Should you desire to split the movie between 2 discs then check the section that says ScubaPete's Links and refer to DVDFab. you'll find a link to the program and you can give it a try -

Let me know how you make out -

Pete

7. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

Thanks Scuba,

I'll give this a try. I've had no other problem....well some minor quality problems using CloneDVD2 but nothing this severe. I had tons of troubles when I upgraded my Nero, and stopped using it all together. (Burns don't load up when put into a DVD player) Should I try burning at 4X? I have mine set to maximum with 4X media and 8X media.

Thanks for the help....I just nabbed Shrink

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

If you like free, I can tell you how to do it and keep the menus functional. If you don't need or want the menus, just use dvd shrink in re-author mode.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi JimiMack, welcome to aD,

I always burn at 4X even though I have 2 burners that burn at 8X and 1 that burns at 16X. 4X gives me the best burn and zero coasters.

@sadsac,
    How is that ?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

yeah inquiring minds want to know??

11. sadsac

sadsac Guest

12. sadsac

sadsac Guest

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I was in that thread and I saw the same problem then that I still see today.. It really isn't a full functioning menu.. You even say that your self
    So you see it really isn't having full functionality of the menus. Sure there on the DVD's but you can't just go to them by using the menu... also as I pointed out in that thread you can do exactly the same thing just using Shrink all you have to do is keep everything and set the start and end frames to get one disk and then set the start end frames again to get the next disk... So you see there really is no need to use VobBlanker at all for that... Now DVDFab on the other hand will give you fully functioning menu's.. So would NVE if you choose to go that route...

Now if you some how got those menus to work I would be very interested to no how?

14. sadsac

sadsac Guest

bbmayo,

Don't knock it until you try it.

What are you talking about? The menus will be fully functional. You'll just have "dummy" cells which are blank. I'm really not interested in disabling the buttons on the menus. If the buttons are there, who gives a shit if they work or not? The buttons for the special features you leave on there will still work! You can't have EVERYTHING for free.

And using re-author in Shrink DOES NOT do the same thing. You cannot use the start/end frame feature on Shrink in normal mode. You MUST use it in re-author mode. When you do that, the menus are GONE altogether!!!

With my method, if you want, you can even put the special features on BOTH disks and have NEAR FULL menu functionality. If you don't want the special features on both disks, hell, just put them on one disk and have the dummy cells on that disk. The ONLY anomoly in the menus in my method is that with 1/2 the movie "blanked", if you try to select a scene from the scene index, you'll be watching 2 seconds of black screen (if you select a blanked out scene). If you pick a scene that's on the disk, you'll be watching it. And who uses "scene index" anyway? Plus, you can still use the menus to select the audio, aspect ratios, and subtitles. Personally, I don't like doing this with the DVD player menus. It's too much of a hassle. I like simply selecting it off the original disk menu.

I don't see what your gripe is with this method. To me, it's OBVIOUSLY better than the re-author feature, where you just lose EVERYTHING except the main movie title. Then you have to select audio, subtitles, aspect ratio from the player's menu.

What do you mean? If the special features are there, you CAN go to them with the menus.

This works. Try it and you'll be pleased I'm sure.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I am not knoking it and I did try it..

I got same results with Shrink which by the way you can select the whole disk and then use the reauthor so I dont believe you have tried that...

I am really not knoking it. Maybe you provide a guide to the way you made these menus fully functional? You are taking this to personal, and really I am very interested in the way you are saying you did this because I havent been able to successfully do it, but I will play with it some more when I have more time.

Again though yes you can use Re-author in Shrink with the whole disk. All you have to do once you drag everything to the left window is select the actuall main movie and use the start end frame button and cut the movie down in half... Try it you will see :)

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

bbmayo,

I tried dragging menus from right to left in re-author mode. Here's the popup warning screen I received from DVD shrink:

"DVD Shrink cannot retain menu functionality when you re-author a menu. Instead, all menu buttons will be removed, and the menu will be converted into a regular video clip.

If you wish to preserve the original menu functionality, you should backup this DVD in Full Disc mode.

Press OK to continue re-authoring the menu."

And all that with a HUGE "!" to the left.

If you look back at the original thread, I gave step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

I am not taking this personal. I just don't like to be told I'm wrong when I know I'm 100% right on this. I don't take things personal. You should go back and look at the thread. Follow my instructions and you'll have a split movie with functional ORIGINAL menus!!!

You're assuming I used re-author mode when I used shrink. You're wrong. I used full disc mode!!! Therefore, menus remain functional!!!!

17. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Sadsac you have a good idea about splitting a movie in two parts, however, I am afraid I do not see keeping a functional menu for both disks will work. Functional means that everything is working. If you take your movie and split it and put things on different disks, you no longer will have a functional menu. The menu gives directions to your standalone on where to find things on your movie, therefore if I have in disk one and press menu how will my player know where to find the extras. You stated yourself in your post

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/163043

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  18. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

JimiMack, i had the same problem with Gods and Generals (the most boring movie of all time). It's what prompted me to first try DVD Rebuilder. Even with the free encoder that comes with it (QuEnc) i'm pretty sure you can get it on 1 disk and still have it look pretty damn decent. Cut out the menus with DVD Shrink then use DVD Rebuilder to Encode it. I know some people here won't agree with me but, don't back up a movie that long with Clone DVD, or DVD Shink, or any other transcoder. Great tools, all of them, but not the right tool for the job.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your wrong!! I did exactly as you said, and was all happy thinking this was going to work.. Put the disk in my DVD player and tried the menus.. Guess what?? It didnt work :-( So there is either something you are doing different than what you posted or your just blowin a lot of hot air.. I got the same functionality I would if I where to use Shrink in re-author.

20. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Hooray bbmayo, I thought I was crazy for thinking this menu thing would not work. I feel sorry for JimiMack all he wanted to do was split a movie, how did this thread evolve to this.

If you want to split a movie using vobblanker use this guide--

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides.htm

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005