1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting a 3 hour movie in half: HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JimiMack, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok we are both crazy and Sadsac I apoligize.. I just did it again and it worked this time.. I'm not sure where I went wrong the first time, but it worked that time... All the menus worked and were functional of couse the only thing you cant do is say go to chapter 15 if it is on the second disk, but everything else worked :)

Very good work and congradulations are in order...

Of course I won't be backing up to many movies this way (just the really big ones) but it is nice to know it works, and I wish I would have thought of it :) just kiddin and again good work :)

2. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

Hey Arniebear....it quite alright. This is all pretty new to me and I am learning SO much. I think at times I over do it and try to do too much, but I feel like a DVD burning junkie and you guys are my pushers....give me a little bit more info and I absorb it and get that adreneline rush after it works. I'm an old "Recorder" from way back. From the Reel-to-Reel days plus I even had an 8-Track recorder, if you can believe that. I'm really overwhelmed! But happy at the same time.

Thanks to all, and I'm buying the next round of beers. Coke's to all you underage folks!

3. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

Ok. Here's what you do with very long movies using CloneDVD 2.
    1. On the "Title Configuration" screen you'll notice a pair of sissors in the bottom right of the left screen. Drag the [bold]RIGHT[/bold] marker to the left until you have 100% quality. Note: Include any special features you want to keep.
    2. Click Preserve Menus.
    3. After disc 1 is burnt and ejected, click the BACK button until you get back to the Title Configuration screen again.
    4. Right click on the right hand screen and select "Invert for Split". This will automatically cause the program to start with the correct chapter on disc 2. Notice the quality is 100%
    5. [bold]UNCHECK[/bold] Preserve Menus. This is so the movie will immediately start when you insert disc 2.
    6. click Next and burn part two of the movie.

Now you will have part of the movie + any special features you selected on disc 1 and the remainder of the movie on disc 2.
    Note: it is important that you place any special features on disc 1 because there will be no menus on disk 2. You can put the SF on disc 2 but you will have to make sure Preserve menus is checked for disk 2 or you won't be able to directly access them.

The only reason I put the SF on disc 1 is so the flow of the movie is not interupted by having to select Play from the menu after I insert disc 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Dude,

I knew it would work. I've done it. I'm not posting messages to waste people's valuable time. Anyway, hope it works out for you guys. I know scubapete got it to work. He posted in the original thread.

Props to me.

Good luck!!

arniebear, You must have not done something right. This works. I've done it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

SS,

As I said in the other thread, no problems though confusing at first.

BB just got it working and so I believe we're agreed - it is probably something we won't use BUT it is something new (or at least a new way to do something old) Soooo, Congrats are due -

Good one SS ! Thanks a lot !

6. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Yeah. BB sent me a PM asking about the guide he wrote. Glad it worked out for you guys. I like free stuff and I think this maximizes the potential of the free stuff available. I'm sure there's a proggy out there that you pay for that will do this easier, but I don't want to plop down any more money than I have to. I already bought one program that sucked which was supposed to do this. I don't want to waste any more money. I think I bought the Intervideo dvd copy 2 proggy. It had too many bugs for me, so I decided to experiment with the freeeeeeeeeeee stuff.

Good guide, BB. Thanks for the credit.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Alright the guide is posted at my website now if anyone wants to check it out :)

@sadsac,
    You deserve the credit. I am not here to claim any credit just to help people out and I believe your guide can help a lot of people out. As I stated earlier I will probably not be using that method, but I'm sure a lot of people will. I like to put the free ways of doing stuff on my site because that is what 90% of the people are looking for ;-).. Just so everyone knows my preffered method for now to back up DVD's is the combination of AnyDVD and DVDCopy3 the quality that DVDC3 produces is just awesome!! Of course those cost a bit so it's kind of hard to tell someone just starting out to use those :)

Again good find sadsac, and keep up the great work! :)

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Just a few words of wisdom for those trying this out:

- For the first disk, you actually don't have to blank out half the TOTAL disk size. Just blank out half the main movie size so that your final output file size is less than 4300. That way, you're just splitting the main movie file in half. Then, you can probably keep the menus on both disks if you want. Of course the smaller the file size, the further from the edge of your disk you will burn. This could be considered a safety feature.

- If you want, you can blank out any additional special features that you don't want to see. For those who feel a little guilty when you watch the initial warning screens, this is a good time to blank them out (LOL). Just kidding. But you can blank out the previews, etc. if you want before backing up your movie.

- If you want both disks to contain the menus and you have a REALLY long movie, you may want to leave the 2 halves of the movie uncompressed and SLIGHTLY compress the special features when you burn them. I personally don't care that much about the special features to keep them uncompressed if it requires any compression of the main movie.

- BBmayo has a good idea in the guide he wrote. If you follow the guide completely, the movie will start automatically when you insert the second disk. By doing this, the fluidity would remain when watching the movies because you wouldn't have to worry about selecting "play movie" from the disk menu on the second disk. A nice feature. As a matter of personal preference, I leave the menu on both disks so I can select the audio. With this splitting technique, you can potentially leave on the space munching DTS track. If you leave the menu on both disks, you can select it to listen to through the disk menu. If you opt for the alternate method used by BBmayo and keep the fluidity of the movie, you'll have to select the DTS track through your DVD player's menu (if that's the track you want to listen to). I don't know why I like to do this because I usually only need the 5.1 track anyway.

- Practically, this method should only be used for really long movies that you want to backup. If you can keep your compression level to around 75-80% and only use one disk, I don't think you'll notice the compression and I wouldn't suggest trying to split the movie. This method is fairly time consuming in that you have to run VOB blanker twice and DVD shrink twice. This takes time. Granted, you save a little time because DVD shrink takes a lot less time to work if there's no compression, but it still takes much more time than just using DVD shrink once.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

All very good points sadsac, and yes there are a varity of ways you could do it. You could just put all the special features on one disk and the main movie on the other if thats what you wanted to do. The point is there are many different variable's you could try I just tried to make it as simple as possible once they get the hang of it they will see what they are able to do. Also I would disagree just a little on one point :) The time it takes is actually pretty fast once you have done it. The whole process doesnt take long at all and this is due to the fact of no compression. I didnt time it but I bet you can do the whole process in less than 30min.. Thats not bad at all :)

Again excellent points made sadsac and if anyone out there is looking for a cheap way (Free!) to make a 1:1 copy of their DVD's with functional menus then this would be the way to go :)

10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

BBmayo,

I have to agree with you now on the time. I did another run of my method and I realize that Vob blanker is very fast. And DVD shrink takes very little time to run with no compression.

Scratch my time-consuming tip. You can probably do this just as fast or faster than compressing your movie to 70% with Shrink alone.

And I just thought of something you stated in your last post. Why not blank out all the special features, or at the very least, put a still DVD shrink image for them, on the first disk. That way, you can put more of the movie on the first disk and less on the second disk. You can blank out all the special features while blanking out the second half of the movie when making disk #1. Then you'll still only have to run VOB blanker twice. Then add all the special features on the second disk so you can watch them after the movie's done and the popcorn is all gone. This way, we can ensure that we fit ALL of the data UNCOMPRESSED on both disks. Good idea!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005
  11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh - to throw a wrench into things,

You could always use DVDFab to split your movie - a little less work - BUT I still like something different once in a while :)

DVDFab (FREE) -

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdfab/

Cheers,

Pete

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hey Pete,

I heard that the free version of Fab won't do the menus though? Is this true, and if it does I will be a little bumed out cause I bought mine :-(

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I haven't tried it BB.

I bought a copy myself but lost the proggy and S/N a couple of yrs ago - Like I missed it (Lol)

Mayhaps I'll try it tomorrow :0

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK no rush ;-) was just wondering I haven't used my Fab in a while either. :) As you know I am not into all the menus and crap anyway, but hey thats just me LOL I understand some people like them, and thats cool :)

Later :)

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member