1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting AVIs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by malcp, Feb 27, 2007.

1. malcp

malcp Guest

As a newbie and an OAP, I have managed to master downloading movies and converting to DVDs and I now want to try splitting AVI files. After a lot of research, I have tried both Virtualdub and Super Video Splitter. Unfortunately, when I split a 700MB AVI, I ended up with 2 AVI files of 12GB and 15GB which causes disk space problems! Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Virtual dub should work just fine. Just make sure you don't re-encode the video at all.

3. malcp

malcp Guest

Thanks. I have tried again with Virtualdub following the Afterdawn "Guide to spltting AVIs using Virtualdub" and tried to extract the first 15 minutes of an AVI file but ended up with a new AVI file of 13.6GB. Do you think I am unknowingly re-encoding the video, and if so have I avoid doing that?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you following this part?

If you are chosing direct stream copy it should be working correctly.

Remember to check also that Direct Stream Copy is selected from Audio menu as well.

You will know if you havent selected "Direct Stream Copy" because it will take a long time to incode, but with direct stream copy selected in both video and audio it will process pretty fast.

5. malcp

malcp Guest

Many thanks for your patience, I'll try again. One question, when I have marked the section, do I save as AVI, save old format AVI or save segmented AVI?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have always selected "Save as AVI"

7. malcp

malcp Guest

Thank you very much, it is now working fine

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem glad to see you got it working :)

Cheers