1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

splitting mpeg2 file

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by akadel72, Apr 30, 2010.

1. akadel72

akadel72 Member

how do i split a 8gig mpeg2 file into 2 4gig files so they will go onto a fat32 formatted flash drive i need it to be in fat32 so my ps3 can read the flash drive

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You could try Avidemux. It works great for AVI files, I have tried with some VOBs but I had A/V sync issues.
    What type of audio is with that mpeg2 video?

If that doesn't work, I might have a couple more suggestions, depending on the audio, and involves the use of 2 software(free and pretty light weight).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. attar

attar Senior member

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hi attar,
    I don't think that's the OP's scope.
    To just split any file ,I would've recommended any free good splitters/joiners, like FFSJ or HJSplit, which can split by size or number. Even Winrar or 7zip can do it, however, I think he wants to have the file split into 2 playable mpegs.
    Unlike mp4,mkv or AVI, I haven't seen lots of free good mpeg2 splitters. Avidemux is one choice.
    Virtual Dub with the mpeg option might be another choice.
    One other way that I think it might be doable, is to use tSMuxer (if it will accept it, the ones I tried worked) and mux the mpeg to a TS file. TSmuXer has an option to split the output by size. It could also be done by muxing to an MKV, using MKVmerge, but not sure if the PS3 plays MKV files.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  5. attar

attar Senior member

@cyprusrom

I used it to split a 7GB mpg of Master & Commander without any problems - at least on a WDTV player.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hi attar,
    indeed, it works!
    I split them, then renamed to mpg, and all good. I tried with the other spliter, HjSplit...and works as well.

I tried other video files, AVI/mp4,splitting and changing the extension back, and it seems it works better on mpegs. With Avis/mp4 I had problems with seeking in the first split part, and second one wouldn't play at all for me.
    Thanks, learned something new!
    Cheers!