1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting program?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by 8chaos, Feb 26, 2005.

1. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Is there a program to split most files to fit on multiple cds? Including avi, mpeg files and such. I use DV tool to split mpegs, but it doesn’t work for anything else.

I’m just starting out to learn how to burn and convert files, and just looking through this site blows my mind. So any help would be appreciated.

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

use whatever you want to split your mpegs files, as long as its splitting the file right then its all good.

when i have to split an avi i use virtualdub, get it here(just choose the mirror that best suits you):. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.5.10.zip?download

how to split:. first open the avi that you want split, then in the video menu select 'direct stream copy', also in the audio menu make sure 'source audio' is selected as well as 'direct stream copy'. now while holding down shift(this makes sure you cut on a keyframe) move the slider to your desired starting point and then press 'home' on the keyboard and again while holding down shift move the slider to the end point you desire and press 'end' on the keyboard, now press f7 to save the file. after its done splitting press home again this will make the end point that you specified now the starting point, then just scroll to the new end point that you desire(holding down shift again). repeat until you have split the file into as many parts as you want.

cheerz

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  3. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

thanks for the info, I downloaded virtualdub and opened a couple of files I have, but when I open them it says something like

"Couldn’t open decompressor for format 'div3 Microsoft high speed mpeg4 v3 (hack: divx low motion) Virtual dub requires a video for windows compatible codec to decompress video, DirectShow codecs such as those used by media player are not suitable."

Is there a separate codec that I have to download to open these files? Or do I have to change these files somehow to use them?

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

5. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

wow, I really need help,

I downloaded ffdshow, went through all the installation shield process, I choose the virtualdub plugin, and found the plugin file for ffdshow so it can put it in. Everything is good, then I opened virtualdub and it gave me a prompt saying that

"this application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re installing the application may fix the problem."

Reinstalling would obviously use a different plugin directory, so that wouldn’t work. Is there something that I am doing wrong? How do I put ffdshow's codecs in virtualdub so it can read it? Do I need to do something else?

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

7. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

well I got the msvcr71.dll and virtualdub works now, but still doesn’t want to split the avi-divx files I have. I guess Ill try to find another way, I really don’t want to waste a DVD on a 900mb movie file, but Ill find a way, just like you said: as long as its splitting the file right then its all good

but I thank you for your help, expertise and the hook up on the .dll file download

peace