1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

squeaks and beeps on mp3 playback

Discussion in 'Audio' started by nickcunit, Apr 19, 2002.

1. nickcunit

nickcunit Member

Can anybody tell me why when i play back many of the mp3 files i download from websites there is a series of short beeps or squeaks at various intervals , this is especially notable through the headphones, i wonder if there is something i can do to stop this happening. Any advice you can give me would be helpfull

Nick

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Again, you could have given MUCH more background information.

Few possible causes:
    -Your PC creates disturbances to your sound card.
    -You are using SB Live! and Windows 2000 with old drivers
    -MP3s are poorly ripped and have read error. This is why one should always use EAC.

These are just few possible reasons - there are more.

3. nickcunit

nickcunit Member

ok more info , i do use eac with lame 3.92 however the problem occurrs with files I have also downloaded from the internet, the soundcard is not sb live and i use 98SE on a dell laptop, with I think ess maestro . maybe you can help me now .any advice gladly welcome.

Nick

4. andavari

andavari Member

Another possible cause:
    Your speakers may need to be "re-set" after a power failure. When they go off and then turn back on it can create a sort of static, etc.

Fix:
    Turn off your PC. Unplug your speakers from the back of the PC. Unplug your speakers power cord. Plug everything back in and turn on your PC.

At least this is what I have to do when there is a power failure.

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Does this happen with ALL mp3s or just some of them?

6. nickcunit

nickcunit Member

More info, the files I download from the web are the worst affected, although also the files I record through eac and lame 3.92 also sometimes have the problem, thanks for the advice on the speakers but most of the time I use headphones and the speakers are not connected at all so i dont think this is the problem, please let me have any further advice you think might help or any further system info you need that could help.
    PII 400 128MB MSwindows 98SE
    Mp3 Playback. Winamp Windows Media Player
    Real Jukebox all these are affected although media player seems a little better than the others.Many thanks.

7. andavari

andavari Member

Perhaps it's the Fraunhofer mp3 decoder that is installed by the OS, maybe it is corrupt. If you search in Windows and search for *.acm you should find something like "L3codec.acm." Perhaps extracting the file from the Windows installation CD using System File Checker and then rebooting could fix the problem.