1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeezing Goodfellas to 1 disc

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by allin, Apr 12, 2003.

1. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I considered not answering you at all. Then I considered ripping into you, because, frankly we help thousands of people and if you don't like us blowing off steam once in a while, you know exactly where you can stick it.

Then I decided to explain. This is how it works.

1 A question is posed (probably in the wrong forum).

2 Further (often unrelated) questions are (usually improperly) posed by people with brains the size of cheerios. (For those Brits amongst you, substitute Cheerio with Polo mint.)

3 Members (OK, usually Dela) respond with helpful and insightful answers.

4 A couple of dorky noobs ask for cracks, or free downloads to this or that : I (or another consciencious Mod/Admin) gives them a kick.

5 The question gets reasked in 47,000,000 other threads without the poster having the sense to check if it has been answered elsewhere. (This is a ridiculous chicken and egg situation, as the more useless repeated questions we get, the more likely it is for people NOT to find the answers to their questions in the first place)

6 A couple of Mods and/or Senior Members have a chat in a friendly sort of way, blowing off a little steam, making this a fun environment to work in.

7 You kick off, without any warning and make absolutely certain that I am very unlikely to answer any questions you pose in the future, let alone this one.

8 You get bored with Afterdawn and leave (not a moment too soon) because you are living a boring unfulfilled existence, which no doubt fuels your need to attack us unnecessarily and need to rip into someone else.

9 I sit back with my feet up and a beer and possibly a Camberwell Carrot (bringing us full circle).

There is another way you know, let me hint at it here :

Be nice and don't take yourself so seriously. You are not paying us, you know.

Paul.

2. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

I think loaded has just about summed it up. I have only been backing up DVD's for a few months now and already I am tired of reading the same question over & over. By the way, I have done several flipper discs to 1 dvd-r.
    used vobedit to combine the .vobs
    used ifoedit to create the .ifo files
    guide here: http://ifoedit.wh.fr0zen.com/joinclip.html#joindbl
    used dvd2one to shrink to 4.36gb
    then burned.
    (simple but takes a bit of time)

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

4. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Lunatic,

When you say combine the VOB's do you mean rename all vobs and edit them with vob edit? I have been trying to do this my only problem is I do not know where to find the damn VOB ID's in VOBedit. when you open a vob there a so many different things.

5. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Lunatic,

I got this to work once but the second half palyed first. When you say combine the VOB's do you mean rename all vobs and edit them with vob edit? I have been trying to do this my only problem is I do not know where to find the damn VOB ID's in VOBedit. when you open a vob there are so many different things couldnt point out the VOB ID's

6. allin

allin Regular member

What a long discussion that was but finally I managed it,thanks guys.

carlitob- when you open up the vob list scroll right to the bottom of the page. When you get there start scrolling up slowly looking for the last navigation pack. When you see the last pack click on it and on the right hand side you will see a list which contains the vob id in it. Then when you are joining the clips with vobedit just use the number above that vob id.

7. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

Glad to hear you figured it out, it really isnt a difficult process once you read the guide.

8. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

where on this page is the vobid?

sorry bad link will post again soon.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2003
  9. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

woohoo! I got it, I did it. found the navigation pack. It actually said navigation pack. duh! well. i got it done.

10. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Great, now can you mail me a copy so I can have a non flipper?

11. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Guys, before you break any rules, go to PM for that please :)

Paul.

12. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

testing my signature

13. jussrock

jussrock Member

i did it all fine, twice, and still it stops half way in the film (chapter 20?). ..y does this have to be so hard....my vob id is 3 for the 1st vob of the 2nd disc, everything seems right..is it instant copy thats making the error which doesnt seem possible because all that does is shrink n burn, it must be my ifoedit process..someone..help__X_X_X_X_X_[small]-thx[/small]

Last edited: May 8, 2003
  14. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

jussrock stop using that crap and use dvd2one. it has worked perfect for me.

15. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

DVD2One has continually worked perfect for me too...I went mad for it when it got updated and was able to do episode discs a while back
    LOL

16. jussrock

jussrock Member

i did it using dvd2one and it burned but when i play it, the end of the 1st side, you know the part where the bartender kid gets shot and pesci says what like its the 1st grave ive dug or whatever, it suddenly stops at position 64: something and the begining of the 2nd side, the part here she rings the bell is like 74: somethin'. Did it cut footage out, or did it copy fine just having a 7 minute pause for no reason........fusk y cant they comeout wiht a special edition so its one side..lol....o ya and the reason i use instant copy is because you can take out some unwanted shit, and the program seems more professional looking but dvd2one is wayy faster like 400minutes on instant copy to like 30min on dvd2one _X_X_X_X_X_[small]-thx[/small]

Last edited: May 10, 2003
  17. Pixel8r

Pixel8r Member

ok...i am having a difficult time with compiling this movie onto one disc...i use decrypter, VOBedit, IFOedit, DVD2one, and nero. i am following the guides to the T, specifically, "Complete idiots guide to making single DVD backups of episode discs with DVD2ONE". everything works great until i process the joined folders with DVD2ONE before burning with nero. during the DVD2one compression, the program stops halfway through, at Vts_01_5.vob. i can't figure out why this is happening. any suggestions? thanks.

18. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Ok I am going to try writing a how to for this movie only

1. Extract all files from each side to 2 different folders name the folders 1 and 2 respectively.
    2. First rename the files of folder 2 to the following order:
    VTS_01_001.VOB
    VTS_01_002.VOB
    VTS_01_003.VOB
    etc.
    3. Open the first VOB file (VTS_01_001.VOB) with VobEdit, and choose the Menu: 'Edit -> Join Clips':
    4. A filedialog will apear, where you have to specify a destination directory for the final VOB file-set. You better choose a new empty directory for that.
    A second dialog will pop up, where you have to specify a starting VOB-ID. specify Nr: 3 :
    5.When the joining has finished, you will have a new set of VOB files named:
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    etc
    6.Now you simply can rename them to:
    VTS_01_5.VOB
    VTS_01_6.VOB
    VTS_01_7.VOB
    Etc
    and move them to the same directory that is containing the folder 1 files.
    7. Erase everything in Folder 1 except for the vob files, this means all the ifos, bups, etc
    8.Open IFOEdit and Create ifos
    9. Use Dvd2One to process the movie. This is a little tricky it might look like its not done, it might only be at 50% but when Dvd2one stops thats it, even if it is at only 50% the movie will be good to go. before burning make sure to test it with any Vob player.
    10. Burn with your favorite software.

Hope this helps

19. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

OK Carlitob, thanks for that, it's exactly what I needed but, it is not idot proof. I would like to add to the "how to" to clarify somethings, correct me if I am wrong.

1. extract files to 2 different folders using dvd decryptor in FILE MODE and select ALL FILES.

2. There is also a VOB file numbered 01_0.VOB. DO NOT change that file to 001, change it to 000. Change the 1.VOB file to 001 and so on.

3. Open the first VOB file IN FOLDER 2, NOT folder number 1. In VOBEDIT, there is no menu tab only an EDIT tab. Under the EDIT tab select "Join Clips" NOT JoinCell VOB files, they are different.

4. When the dialog box opens just type in 3. NOT Nr:3, sounds stupid but, I made the mistake and copied exactly what was in the above post. (Nr:3)

5. After opening Ifo Edit and creating IFO's, the folder where you put them will have 4 files. 2 IFO files and 2 BUP files. All 4 of these files need to go into the folder with the 8 VOB files. Cut the 4 files and paste them into the folder with the 8 VOB files, don't COPY them, CUT AND PASTE them.

6. Now process them (compress) with DVD2One and select another folder or place to put the file after it is compressed.

Now you can burn it with your favorite burning software.

I am writing this before ever seeing the final copy so, it may still not work but, that is what I did.

20. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

OK, just tested it out and it works. I had done this all before and I always had this problem. After combining folders 1 and 2 I had a total of 8 VOB files. After compressing using DVD2)ne, I was left with 5 VOB files. 3 are gone! in the past, I never even bothered to burn because I thought the 3 missing VOB files were the 2nd half of the film. I was incorrect.

For some reason after compressing the 8 VOB files are reduced to 5. I don't know why but, after playing the movie, all chapters are ther and it works perfectly.

Now for my question...

The disc flips at chapter 20, 21 is on the other side. I noticed an 8 second delay in my copy, between chapters 20 and 21 where the disc flips.

The question is: Is it possible to reduce that delay of black dead screen to 2 seconds from 8? I would prefer to not have any layer change and have a seamless transition. Is it possible?