1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

standalone dvd compatibility question

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by steve11, Apr 6, 2005.

1. steve11

steve11 Member

hello

i have put a svcds onto dvd using the dvdlab method and i was just wondering if anyone knows what the compatibilty would be with standalone dvd players?

would only players that support svcd play these or these disks work in any players that play backups?

any information would be gratefully received as i am a newbie at this!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, because the video is 480x480, which is not a DVD standard.

3. steve11

steve11 Member

so,, what is the best method for doing it to ensure compstiblity, i dont seem to have very good results with dvd santa or divx to dvd, i tried to encode a svcd recently and the film ended up being a smallish rectangle on the tv screen, this has happended on two different svcds that i have done recently,

i was just looking for the most effective way of putting them on dvd, im not to bothered about the time taken, just the end result and good compatibility!

the reason being i have some old video footage (uncopyrighted) on svcd
    that i wanted to give away to family members some of there players may support svcd some not, i wondered what the best way of doing this was

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Re-encode it to DVD standard NTSC or PAL, depending on your region, then reauthor to dvd.
    Any good standalone encoder can do this.
    Canopus Procoder Express, Mainconcept, Tmpgenc, et al.
    You will also have to transcode audio to 48khz. I prefer Ffmpeggui to do this.
    There are other tools available:
    http://www.dvd2dvd.org/ which will do SVCD to DVD, with the free bbmpeg encoder, tmpgenc, or CCE, and allow much more flexibility with some settings.

5. steve11

steve11 Member

ok i have tried messing around with tmpgenc plus, have soert of got it working but its taking around 5hrs to encode, is this usual, it seems a bit long :(

is there anything better, and by better i mean faster!

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Oh yes, 5 hrs is about normal for tmpgenc.
    Canopus Procoder express can do it in less than half the time, and it's only $59.
    Mainconcept is as fast as Canopus (generally) and is $99
    CCE basic is about $59, also fast.
    You could just churn them through something like VSO Divx to DVD, which also does mpg to mpg I think...WinAVI video converter...even Nerovision Express (although slow, and of questionable quality).

7. steve11

steve11 Member

thanks for the advice i, would try some of them but unfortunatley they are not freeware so they are out of my price bracket, do you know if ulead movie facotry is up to the job? and how long it takes, their website is a bit vague!

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Give it a shot. It's quite fast.

9. steve11

steve11 Member

thanks for all your advice,
    i decided to go with Mainconcept mpeg editor, not sure if it achieves the best possible results but have not had any problems so far with it
    :) and it beats tmpgenc by about 5hrs

also would like to say to those that run and provide advice on afterdawn, many thanks! it has been an invaluable source of information for me over the last year !

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

In Mainconcept, click Details, and slide the search method and search range sliders up to about 11 each.
    This doesn't increase time all that much, but can dramatically improve the encode.

11. bjj

bjj Member

vso dixv-dvd is much faster than tmpeg and its free ive got a few to choose from but most of the time i use vso for convenience and speed and there are ways around paying for dvd software you know not as hard as you would think.

12. steve11

steve11 Member

i have used divx to dvd and on some films have had some good results on some films, i have found it good if the source is avi, vut on other stuff have had some quite ramdom results

I.e recently used in to convert a svcd but after burning it to dvd the video seemed a bit messed up. it was converted to a small rectangle that did not reach the edge of the left or rightside othe the TV screen, i used mainconcept and the results were normal widescreen video!

i also had a problem on divxtodvd where after im almost certain i selected the 16/9 widescreen as output the results were a bit of both - i admit it was widescreen but not letterbox - it took up the whole tv screen! - mainconcept seems a little bit more reliable,

i have great respect for the programmers of all the freeware available - they give us valuable programmes to practice with but sometimes free is not always best