1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standalone vs Internal Dvd Burners

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cmax420, Jan 28, 2005.

1. cmax420

cmax420 Regular member

Hello, I am looking to finally get a dvd burner, but I am not sure whats better. I have researched different dvd players with macro hacks and then hooking that up to a standalone. Or is an Internal Dvd burner a better way to go. I am trying to make backups of my childrens dvd, because they seem to get scratched very easily :-(
    I have a copy of DVD X Copy platinum (I think it works).
    I hope I put this in the correct place.

Any help from anybody will be GREATLY APPRICATED.
    Thanks in advance. CMax420

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Well firstly welcome to AD cmax420. There are some well informed folk in here, so my contribution is a mere by the bye.

As far as I know, whatever burner you use has little, or no effect on your decryption.
    It's more a question of getting your software right, and being able to use it.

Threre are lots of guides: dvd shrink and decrypter are wicked tools, both free, and well documented.

Apart from that and recommending Scuba Petes' guides, on the shrink & decrypt,, software,

happy burning and regards gringle.

3. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Internal vs. external ... I bought an external DVD burner (Sony) when I started simply because I was intimidated at the idea of opening up my computer to install an internal one. The external burner connects via a USB port so it's a cinch to set up. However, one caveat: if you're thinking of getting an external burner that connects with a USB cable, make sure your computer has USB 2.0 ports, not USB 1.1 -- I had to upgrade my computer to USB 2.0 ports because 1.1 took forever (hours). So I ended up having to have my computer opened anyway to install the 2.0 card (the tech department at my college did it for me).

To summarize ...
    - if you don't want to open up your computer AND you're sure your USB ports are 2.0, then an external is the way to go
    - if you don't mind opening up your computer, then an internal burner will save you a little money and not take up a USB port. This may be a good option if you're not planning to buy a new computer any time soon (i.e., an external burner would be easier to move to a new computer).

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Internal burners are much more dependable, and really not hard at all to install. However if you like to take your burner with you and hook it up to other computers or a laptop then maybe an external would be the way to go for the portability. If you don't plan on using your burner anywhere else but at your house on your computer then I would highly reccoment you get an internal burner they just work so much better :)

5. uzmeplz

uzmeplz Guest

Hello cmax420!
    Welcome to the club.I like internal dvd-r just becuse the are cheaper!They are realy easy to install.Most of them come with a step bye step how to install sheet.I would go with a internal save some cash!With the money you save you can bye the kids a new movie =).Make sure to get a copy of dvdecrypter and dvdshrink.There both free and work very well.Good luck on your ripping!

6. cmax420

cmax420 Regular member

[bold]Thanks for all who replied ![/bold]

I think I am going with a internal burner

I have a Dell (Intel..Pentium 4 CPU 2.00Ghz.. 256mb RAM)

Also, Thanks for all the GREAT information on this site, It will become very useful after my install.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member