1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarForce and S-ATA Drives

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sammorris, Aug 12, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To anyone who knows more about DVD drives than me:

Does the Starforce copy protection system also destroy S-ATA optical drives, or just IDE ones?
    After having my ND-4570 ruined by SF, I'm keen to find a way round it. All I did was download a free demo game, but since that had SF on it, I got infected.
    I also note the removal tool does nothing but remove the visible traces of Starforce, I see it still works underneath...

I'm keen not to suffer these setbacks!

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Sam, an interesting issue! I've been having a look for some info for about 15 minutes and can't find anything regarding your question and can't comment personally as I haven't become victim to it on either type of drive.
    However, I did find this website which might be of interest to you; it was to me. Merely removing it is hardly a good fix and seemingly doesn't work for the most part..

However, from what I've found...

..seems a logical conclusion to draw. (Quote Source: http://forums.tweakguides.com/archive/index.php/t-2316.html)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It would detect it yes, but do S-ATA drives work in PIO mode? That principle is both the reason starforce works, and part of the reason that it destroys CD drives.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, I think they work in PIO, but it would work very slowly as would an IDE drive in PIO..

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

:mad:

Hmm, maybe I'll just get a USB DVD Writer. Not ideal, but at least that doesn't get destroyed by Starforce.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, that seems like the only feasible way of doing it.. I doubt StarForce will make much of an appearence on future games though.. At leats I hope not. :-/

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I think Ubisoft dropping it was the watershed, but nonetheless there are developers like Nadeo that have a fanatical devotion to the technology.
    None of my hard drives sit in the 3.5" bays in my case, so perhaps this is a sign to do the same with my DVD drive.
    As luck would have it, I have a spare, an LG GSA-4163BA I put in my old PC shortly before I got my X2.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'd not heard of them.. which games do they do?

Lucky you had the spare drive then, although the NEC was a far superior drive to the LG.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You think so? I've not had any problems with either, and the performance seems about equal. The NEC is perhaps a bit quieter, but that's it.
    Lol the NEC cost me £25, the LG £44, and I only bought them 6 months apart.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, NECs are, for the most part, better drives than LGs. However, personally, I have an older LG writer which has burnt thousands of discs without fail for me. I have a few other drives (i forget the makes/models off the top of my head) lying about, but until this one fails, I'm going to stick with it.

I never spend more than £30 on a drive (give or take a few quid) but I needn't to get a decent drive..

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Back in 2001 I think it was, I paid £90 for an acer 40x20x10 CD-writer. It broke after 2 weeks, it was warranty replaced with an identical benq model, which also broke after 3 weeks.
    I didn't bother replacing it again and suffered the £90 loss. I waited until my next PC two years later before getting another burner. That drive was pretty dump too, but it still works today, and I recently installed it in my grandad's PC.
    Matshita SW-9581
    CD speed was 32x12x8 and DVD speed was 12x2x1, Minus discs only!
    it did do DVD-RAM though, at 1x speed!
    The LG was what I replaced that with, and god that was luxury by comparison!
    The first drive I had, a Toshiba 32x6 DVD-ROM still works, just, but the tray mechanism sounds like fingernails down a blackboard, I'm amazed it still works.

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Lol, I haven't been into burning long enough to go through any drives. This LG (GSA4120B) has kept going since I joined in... Feb 06.

But eugh, Mashita :p

Hehe :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, despite the fact that's aD's main focus, I'm not anywhere near as well up on burning than I am other PC hardware, mainly because I hardly ever burn discs, I download stuff and store it on copious hard drives.

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

The reason I came to aD was to do with burning issues. I basically asked my questions, got my answer then started answering others questions, reading up etc and it kind of a snowball effect.. look where I am now. lol.

I'm not too into other PC hardwares really but I know enough basics to answer simple things :)