1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

start up xp w/out a zillion programs runnig.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dalliss, Jun 21, 2004.

1. dalliss

dalliss Member

I want to run a program that suggests,I turn off all programs running in the back ground.I have typed msconfig thruogh run.That takes me to sys config,under general tab.I see the option for selective start up.I also noticed under the services tab it shows lots of programs running.Only two of these programs has a yes under essential.Remote procedure call(rpc),and (rpc)locator?Help on it tells me zero about this idea.This is where my ignorance kicks in.I doubt it would be cool to turn all off.I am on xp home ed.Vaio pcg-grz660 2.4ghz.

Thanks in advance for any help.You people Rock.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Just for clarity, you want to run one specific program that asks you to shut off all other programs running in the background, correct? What program is it?

I'm not sure if this is quite what you're wanting but this link gives a lot of information as to what services can be disabled and why:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

3. dalliss

dalliss Member

The all hated here Dvd platinum.
    Thanx again.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

The key word here is suggests -- I think damn near every program in existance says something like that. Ignore it unless you run into problems