1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting from the begining...

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ediblegod, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ediblegod

ediblegod Member

Hello all!
    I just got a new computer with a DVD burner and have finally mastered the burning of DVDs. I want to start converting a couple of (extremely rare) VHS tapes that I have to DVD. Can someone point me to the right direction of what I would need to accomplish this task?
    Thanks and take care!

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

do you have an analog capture device? if not, that's a good place to start.

basically the steps for converting VHS to DVD depend on the video quality you want and the amount of money you can spend. either way you are going to need to do some research. it is a worth-while process but it can get confusing.

here are some very basic steps you should do more research on:
    #1 Capturing converts an analog signal to a digital format, usually AVI, DV-AVI, or MPEG2 file format.

#2 Encoding the captured file ensures the video and audio conform to the DVD standards for resolution, bitrate, sample frequency, and file size.

#3 Authoring creates files that are DVD compliant and ready to be burned to DVD disks. this step includes adding a menu as well as other features that you want available when the disk is played.

#4 Burning is the final step, the authored files from step #3 are burned into a file folder called "VIDEO_TS" on the DVD disk.

--good luck.

3. ediblegod

ediblegod Member

I don't have an analog capturing device.
    Just a DVD burner and the determination.
    I am looking for the best way to go as in "best quality overall"
    Thanks!

4. turkey

turkey Regular member

5. ediblegod

ediblegod Member

Makes sense.
    Thank you very much!

6. eandtc

eandtc Member

"i think you are just going to have to get started and then ask questions if you run into trouble..."

Agreed. I have two different forums that I've pretty much copy/pasted the same technical questions to when capturing my Star Wars LD's. Then I wait to see which forum gives me the first best answer and continue working on my project.

I'll tell you this much - my $40 WinTVGO capture board (model 190) has been a FANTASTIC purchase. It's excellent quality for the price, but you'll want to use third-party drivers.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004