1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starting my home theater PC project

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by acousty, Jan 31, 2010.

1. acousty

acousty Regular member

I want to start backing up my movies and using a program like movie collecter to actually play the movies instead of just cataloging them. I currently own movie collecter standard and I have some questions about the best route to go

Which type of encoding should I use? I do not have room for 500 4.3 gig movies files, so I am assuming there is a way to encode it to something smaller that doesn't lose quality. I will eventually start getting into Blue ray too, so I am assuming there is an encoding process for these too?

I will have the backed up files on my tower pc which is also the PC that is linked to my receiver and 42 inch hd display, but I would like to use my laptop to choose, browse and control play back. Is this possible?

I already own movie collector standard so what other program(s)do I need to start choosing and playing movies?

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I've had good success using handbrake (link here) to convert my DVD movies from VOB files to mkv files. The conversion will result in about 1/4th of the size, but you'll lose a little quality. In my opinion, the difference isn't too noticeable. For playback, I use XBMC (link here). Both of the programs listed are free, so there's really no reason why you can't test it to see if it will work for you.

Notes - MKV files are highly compressed (thus the smaller size), so you will need a somewhat powerful video card/processor to play them without glitches. The conversion from VOB files to MKV can take several hours depending on the movie being converted as well as the power of the computer being used.

3. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I too use xbmc simply because it will play anything out there. To convert is use avidemux. Avidemux works with linux if that's your cup a tea.
    Silk, if you like xbmc you will like mediaportal and the up coming xbmc release. Mediaportal is a branch of xbmc but it has pvr capabilities, the next stable xbmc will have those features also.