1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Out

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Wood, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Wood

Wood Guest

I am a newbie to dvd ripping. I just got a dvd-ram from hitachi. I downloaded smartripper and spruceup. I have two question, one is there a step-by-step instruction somewhwere. Two does anyone know where I can buy dvd blank disc to record for a reasonable price.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Are you sure your drive is DVD-RAM, not DVD-R or DVD+RW?

3. Wood

Wood Guest

Yes, it is a DVD-RAM.

4. dRD

Have fun. DVD-RAM doesn't work on any other drive than DVD-RAM -- stand-alone DVD drives don't support it, DVD-ROM drives don't support it, etc.

5. Wood

Wood Guest

maybe you can help me. I would like to get something that will enable me to ripp dvd and ps2 games in one unit

6. dRD

I don't know anything about PS2 games, but DVDs I do know. Read through our DVD-R forum and you get the idea how the backup should be done (three different methods for three different cases). And really, DVD+RW or DVD-R recorder is what you need in order to backup your discs so that they can be used in DVD players.

7. Wood

Wood Guest

dRD,in reading through the forums i found a thread under dvd burners. The item he was deciding to purchase is the same item I bought. Except the model I bought is for IDE.
    I was wondering if that person had any success. If so, is it possible to search for his threads.
    I think he mixed terms and called the machine a dvd-r, instead of dvd ram.
    The thread was started by mario10c, the machine is a Hitachi GF-2050. Or take a peek at the machine at Hitachi.com models GF-2050 or GF-2000
    Thanks, for the ps2 site its great

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2002
  8. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Sadly dRD is right.. It's always sad when he is.. ;-)

There's no way of backing up DVD-Video or PS2 discs with a DVD-RAM -drive. You can only read DVD-RAM discs on a DVD-RAM -drive.