1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 2 as second box help

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Will4long, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Will4long

Will4long Member

Hi there peeps..

Please be gentle..lol

I wodnering if anyone can assist.? Basically I have VginMedia XL Tv package with broadband at the moment with the VM box in the living room on the 1st floor. I wondering if i buy a Starview 2 box can i use this as a second box upstairs in the games room and if so whats involved with getting this to work (cable runs, splitters etc).

All help much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Will4long

Will4long Member

Can anyone help with this..?

Thanks in advance.

3. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

you can get the starview 2TheBox and it should work up stairs for you no problem a couple of things you will have to flash the box as when you get it the firmware will not be on it so you will need a null modem cable in case you dont get one with it like this one

Heres the NULL MODEM CABLE Code L71BT
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

Next you will need the firmware from here as well so first things first get your box then come back and we will help you out ok

4. Will4long

Will4long Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply..
    I should get my box by next Thursday and reckon i know what i`m doing regarding updating the firmware etc (after many hours of reading various threads and post on different websites), but i just need to know what other equipment I require in terms of using the Starview as a second box upstairs with it ovbioulsy getting the feed from the Virgin Box downstairs. Is it just a case of getting a splitter like the Airstar splitter you can get on Ebay that say you can link 4 boxes with and some coax with f-connectors ran from the virgin box to the starview box upstairs.??

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  5. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Just make sure you get the best quality cable to connect to the box also a good quality scart not the cheap 4.99 ones gold tip is best ok

6. Will4long

Will4long Member

I have a few decent QED scarts lying around since i upgraded a lot of my AV stuff with HDMI.

So i`m right in saying, use splitter on input to Virgin box then decent coax run upstairs to Starview Box and use good sacrt lead for Starview to TV.

Seems a bit too simple..lol

7. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

That should work alright but because you are using a splitter you could possibly need a booster as well so be prepared for that as well just in case

8. Will4long

Will4long Member

Lovely old job...Booster no probs...Excellent. Didnt think it would be that easy in terms of just using a splitter.Cool

Cheers again to everyone thats posted a reply.