1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview 2 newbie help!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by sitja, Dec 23, 2007.

1. sitja

sitja Regular member

hi guys im a real rookie an i plan on buyin the box and reading into it, it says its plug and play so is that a true term. i live in ireland and wondering if i buy one off the net will it jus need the cable, scart and to be plugged in to work all the channels shown on this site that ya can access..? or is there a tuning set up??

2. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    All you need is the suppliers cable plugged in, then do a scan for the channels in your area. So you could say (Plug and Scan) rather than Plug and Play
    jbvid

3. sitja

sitja Regular member

thanks, but whats this null modem cable about.. does that go into the rs 232c port at the back for some purpose? im also keen to find out about the dream box is there much difference in the two? an is there much work involved in setting them up for the first time?? these cant be legal tho can they..?

4. CO19

CO19 Regular member

Sitja,you only need the Null Modem Cable to update the software on the box and yes that's what the rs232c port at the back of it is for.
    The Box is very easy to set up don't know about the Dreambox though myself and you are right these boxes aren't legal.

5. sitja

sitja Regular member

thanks very much.. the box has become very popular around my area and i thought they were legit when they could be bought off the net and jus thought people chipped them then.. do the box scramble quite easiy..?

6. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    As you are a newbie I would steer clear of the dreambox unless you are VERY PC literate and read a lot first. These boxes are a totally different setup to the Starviews and you will need a steep learning curve and need a LAN (Local Area Network) connection to Setup/Update/Load Images/Keys/Cams etc into the box.
    jbvid

7. CO19

CO19 Regular member

Sorry jb don't mean to be cutting in ;)-No the box doesn't scramble easily once you have the latest firmware (software) on it which is designed to stop scrambling.Depending where you buy your box from it may or may not come with the firmware installed.

8. sitja

sitja Regular member

oh really... alot more complex so.. but is the extra work and learning worth the dreambox??

9. sitja

sitja Regular member

thanks for all the help guys.. well appreciated.. will certainly have more questions in the near future, thanks again.

10. CO19

CO19 Regular member

You're welcome sitja ;)