1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 2 Wont go into standby.

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by gevans82, May 16, 2008.

1. gevans82

gevans82 Member

I have a starview 2 "the Box" but everytime i turn it on it just shows the screen with "the box" logo showing and seems to freeze.

So i thought i would reload the firmware. The problem is i cant get the box to go into standby it just shows the box logo on the screen all the time??? All ideas greatly appreciated.

G

2. gevans82

gevans82 Member

*I have tried to update the firmware but when i select download it just say failed. With the options to retry or cancel.

3. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

4. gevans82

gevans82 Member

Cheers will try it when i get home.

Yes it is definetly the box.

5. gevans82

gevans82 Member

Tried everything now but its still not working it just comes up with "flash update fail..." I am using GTRom loader v4.00 and .bin file theboxuk451eE.bin.

Any other ideas? Thanks

6. gevans82

gevans82 Member

Tried this now and still not working pulling my hair out here!! HELP!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    PRESS THE BIN FILE BUTTON & SELECT thebox_H20070814_452eE_api.bin THEN PRESS DOWNLOAD. Let the download finish. The display on the receiver will say “ON”.

THEN

PRESS THE BIN FILE BUTTON & SELECT thebox_logobg.bin, MAKE SURE BACKGROUND DATA FILE radio button is selected THEN PRESS DOWNLOAD. Let the download finish. The display on the receiver will say “ON”.

THEN

PRESS THE BIN FILE BUTTON & SELECT thebox_H20071015_454eE_api.bin PRESS DOWNLOAD. Let the download finish. The display on the receiver will say “ON”.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Try it again using the bad flash guide and update with theboxuk451eE as this version is more stable

8. gevans82

gevans82 Member

Thanks celtic, but i have done that aswell. Really running out of ideas now and still no box!

9. conundrum

conundrum Member

Hi Gevan...I had exactly the same problem as you, which I caused myself by trying to upgrade the firmware to a version which wasn't supported. When it re-started I got 'The Box' logo on screen, and absolutely nothing worked. As a couple of others have already said the way out of it is to use the Bad Flash method to load another version of firmware back on it.

Now don't get despondent....you have to try lots and lots of times before it finally kicks in and starts the loading. I tried at least twenty times before it went.

Connect your pc via the rs232 cable, get the GTROM loader ready to go, turn off the Starview, then turn it back on again and then press download or whatever it is to start the transfer. (cant remember exactly what it is, but when you look at GTROM its obvious). Try varying the time you start the transfer by a second or two, but keep trying. I honestly thought it wouldn't get going and I had a brick, but it worked for me and I'm now up and running.

10. gevans82

gevans82 Member

I have done the bad flash method and it download fine onto the box. When it finishes though i believe the box should show "ON" on the display but it doesnt. I have tried to do this about 10 times now.

11. conundrum

conundrum Member

What version of firmware are you trying to get on your box? In my case I put the Cryptstar one for clones on, though I believe my box isn't a clone. Someone told me that it would work on both clones and genuine, which seems to be true.

12. gevans82

gevans82 Member

As it says above i have tried 451eE and 454eE. My box is definetly not a clone. Can anyone tell if i put the cryptstar software on the box will it kill it.

13. conundrum

conundrum Member

I've read several times that this firmware is fine for both clones and genuines.

You will need version CryptStar-v1.4-Core257.bin firmw@re for CLONES found in "Starvi*w" firmw@re folder.

I put it on my box, which is Starview 2 The Box, and it works. If you still dont fancy it then I suggest PMing one of the Gurus on here to ask about it, probably Celtic or Fergus and they'll keep you straight.

But if it was me, I'd give it a try. It certainly worked for me.

14. gevans82

gevans82 Member

Can anyone else clarify for definete this is the right thing to do?

My Box is genuine!!

15. conundrum

conundrum Member

Yeah, so's mine. But it worked. Best of luck with your problem.

16. steo2k8

steo2k8 Active member

what does your box do when it's reflashed.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  17. conundrum

conundrum Member

After it reflashes, the box reboots itself, then it works as normal. Of course I have to go back in and set the cable supplier, set the emu to on, then do a full scan to pick up all the channels. Its just like when I first received the box and had to set it up from new.

Best of luck

Steve

18. gevans82

gevans82 Member

Conundrum your a legend that worked a treat.

I thought after though after getting that on i would upgrade to the latest 454eE but it didnt work.

Looks like i am stuck with this old version.

cheers for all your help guys.

19. steo2k8

steo2k8 Active member

all you need is then new logo file and new gt rom to use the new version. happened me and i thought broke it.

20. conundrum

conundrum Member

Just done a bit more digging on this problem. It looks like the Starview I've got *isn't* Starview 2, The Box, like I thought it was. Its a bog standard Starview clone, which was sold to me as Starview 2, The Box, with firmware which was spoofed to look like genuine The Box.

So when I tried to put on upgraded software for The Box it fell over. On putting a clone friendly version on it worked again. I tried using the modified GTROM loader, putting on up to date The Boc software and it again failed. So now I'm back running on clone friendly firmware and I'm not going to mess about any more.

There's a moral to this tale. If you buy any sort of Starview, only use a reputable dealer, not a fleabay con merchant which stiffed me with a clone when I thought I was buying 'The Box'.

Live and Learn