1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 4 The Box Super USB - Invalid Box?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by da_mage, Jul 8, 2009.

1. eddub

eddub Member

Just thought I'd put photos up of the Starview 4 I've received from sat andc*ble, could someone confirm whether it's a clone or a legit box, thanks in advance

http://www.4shared.com/dir/12206026/68b53846/sharing.html

(I have compared this one vs a starview 2 and it looks very same on the outside bar the USB port, the plug)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

eddub it's a clone mate, the silver heatsink gives it away amongst other things. From my own recent experience and that of others I am not sure Sat and Cable actually sell original boxes.

3. rab2k09

rab2k09 Member

hi guys same thing happening here does it mean i need a new one then? ive only had it three days lol.

4. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

they do if you look at there web catalogue you will see they advertise the box usb A++ then they have a grade b version which id say is the clone cos its £10 cheaper!!

5. eddub

eddub Member

Crap! But the old starview has a silver heatsink... see link:
    http://www.4shared.com/dir/18563853/586661d2/Old_legit_starview.html

6. rab2k09

rab2k09 Member

[/quote]they do if you look at there web catalogue you will see they advertise the box usb A++ then they have a grade b version which id say is the clone cos its £10 cheaper!![/quote]

i never bought the grade b 1 as i wanted top make sure i had a good 1 and mine has done the same soz.

7. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

they do if you look at there web catalogue you will see they advertise the box usb A++ then they have a grade b version which id say is the clone cos its £10 cheaper!![/quote]

i never bought the grade b 1 as i wanted top make sure i had a good 1 and mine has done the same soz.[/quote]certain boxes from good retail outlets that are not clones are dying aswell its just poor manufacturing, as they are not checking all the boxes before they get to the shops.
    get back on to your supplier see if he will do anything for you?
    also sometimes they will send you a clone if they are out of originals as they work fine in the uk, its just our new software is a clone killer

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

9. rab2k09

rab2k09 Member

thanks mate have sent them an email asking for a new 1

10. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

Hooter, I understand thats what they say about B-Grade products, but I actually paid for mine over the counter in Sat & Cable as I only work 5 mins walk from their place. I paid their full price for a box back in April that turned out to be a clone. Sadly I didn't realise until it was too late. My gripe is that even if they were out of stock of originals he should have told me at least face to face. I don't have a leg to stand on as I updated the firmware so I have to hope for a fix, otherwise it goes in the bin in a few months time.

11. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

for starters go back to the shop and tell them you did not get what you paid for
    also if your box is not bricked you are in the uk so try and d.load v109 as far as i know it works on clones but get a second opinion on that,
    also tell them if your box is bricked, you would not have had the problem with your box if you got the original that you asked and paid for in the first place!
    also say you were on to a solicitor and he is willing to take your case on?? (but say you would rather not go down that road)you just want what you paid for and thats all,
    and as a last resort, tell them in a nice way that you will blacklist them on every website you can think of and that they are ripping there customers off by giving out clone boxes instead of genuine boxes,
    AND YES THAT IS SATANDCABLE GIVING CLONE BOXES INSTEAD OF ORIGINAL BOXES

12. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

13. superbaby

superbaby Regular member

Is there a fix for this problem yet? :(

14. dinnyc

dinnyc Member

ya theres a fix its v1.12.you find it in downloads.that solves the bootloader problem that is killing the boxes.

15. cactikid

cactikid Active member

no they are still been sold.

16. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

If the box is already dead it won't solve it though will it, as there is no way to flash the box.

17. dinnyc

dinnyc Member

you have to jtag the box thats the onl way to get it up and running again.or send it back to the supplier.u get it on taylormade cercuits.com.just punch in sv4 jtag and u will find t it will give u instructions how to use it.u also get a dvd to help u along the way.

18. Jabonski

Jabonski Guest

even clones? they have a different internal connector than the originals? Most people seem to be having this problem with clones.

19. dinnyc

dinnyc Member

im not sure with clones. i have a buddy and hes box went dead no lcd screen notting atal.but hes box was not a clone so im not sure if it would fix a clone.

20. TheBish

TheBish Guest

As Jabonski said, if the box is dead (i.e. no signs of life apart from the red light in SP/DIF port on the back) then there is no fix available out there.

This is because the bootloader has been screwed.

The TMC jtag kit, as with others available for the SV4, is NOT actually a jtag kit. It's simply an RS232 level shifter to convert the RS232 driver signal levels to the 5V level needed by the SV4's processor. This kit and associated software relies on the bootloader still being intact as it communicates with the SV4's processor via the serial port and not via the jtag port. Once the bootloader is dead there's no way to communicate via the serial nor USB ports.

The only way to recover an SV4 with a dead bootloader is by using the proper jtag connectors & port on the SV4 main board, and with the correct ARM jtag equipment. To the best of my knowledge, no-one has released that information or kit as of yet. I've been working on it (and have made minor progress), but so far I can't read the contents of the flash (without de-soldering it). The proper ARM kit is quite expensive so I won't be dipping my hand that deep into my pocket!