1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview 6 Futureproof ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by RizzB, Jan 26, 2010.

1. gerb68

gerb68 Member

Surely they are not going to do a similar setup as the SV.

Unless the server is from outside Ireland. Is this possible.

2. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

just have to wait an see m8
    but if it does happen i dont think it would be as similar as sv

3. NightsJOD

NightsJOD Member

Do you work for one of the providers? Or are you just miffed at being caught? Either way, "Aww..."

Anyway, my sat provider has sly Ireland and is transmitting from somewhere in Africa (Morocco, I think). Absolutely flawless if a tad bit pricey (€25) but MUCH cheaper than the providers and that includes everything in Europe. Even including Showtime Arabia - Pity I don't have the dish for it. Admittedly, it's not suitable for everyone and yes, you do need a dish but one of those portable, caravan dishes on the balcony or out the back garden would be sufficient for 28.2e anyway.

As for providers, if you can get some trustworthy, likeminded friends & family members to set up your own private card share, you would save hundreds of euro a year (€12 each for the full HD package every month if you get 5 others). Sorted. Fair enough, the setup isn't that cheap to set up but it would more than balance out.

4. 4dbox

4dbox Guest

doom and gloom go hide in the cupboard with your star box there comeing for you

...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
  5. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

there back on in uk

6. e45

e45 Regular member

well i suppose that's a start lets see now for how long

7. SG8

SG8 Active member

You sound disappointed E45 ???

8. e45

e45 Regular member

not really as i only got mine today booo hoooo new doorstopper

but as said thats the risk ya take see what happens

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  9. SG8

SG8 Active member

I have a nice collection of doorstops here if you get stuck !!

10. e45

e45 Regular member

thanks for the offer think i have enought to be going on with at the present time

11. rump50

rump50 Member

Jeez....not good news here
    I was just checking back to update on my "not connected" message
    Another door stopper indeed i have...

i would have certainly thought that the servers would have been all in the far east or so...

Thnks to al teh nfo posters here...

12. SG8

SG8 Active member

Remember, there are no 'official' Starview representatives posting here.

13. mark33

mark33 Member

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how can you be traced from the server to your house, my IP address is something like 192.168.1.20, how is this linked to me, what if i set a stasic IP??

14. gerb68

gerb68 Member

Thats your Private IP address or internal IP address. Think of your Home as your own Network and The web as a larger separate Network. For you to connect to the web you will need a Public IP address or external IP address. This is provided by your sService Provider. This is what connects to the server and therefor it is possible to trace as the Service Provider knows who uses which Public IP address.

Your router translates your Private IP to your Public IP. It connects or provides a route from your home network to the larger network (the web).

Hope this helps.

15. NightsJOD

NightsJOD Member

The 192.168.x.x address range is your private IP address. So, if you have, say, a PC and two laptops they might be 192.168.0.2, 0.3 and 0.4 with your router being 0.1. This is your private network. Your router will convert your private IP address into a public IP address when connecting to the Internet. Nothing to do with static IP's or anything.

If you have a private cardshare with a group of trusted friends (for educational purposes), the only other party outside your group that could potentially see what is being transmitted is your ISP (Again, if you are a server, use a second, non-tv-providing ISP for a card share network). The second ISP are unlikely to look at your connection as card sharing does not use download/upload bandwidth usage that would be looked at as "suspicious". Remember, this second ISP connection is dedicated purely to sharing fairly small bits of data between a few remote devices so even if everyone's box was on constantly for the entire month, it would still be well below any "fair use" policy from the ISP. They also wouldn't even look unless a TV provider got a court order forcing the second ISP to disclose your details.

This is 99.99999999999% impossible however, as the tv providers wont even know you have a network in the first place anyway - and they can't just start randomly accusing people of sharing without proof (Proof that they simply can never get).

The only way they could possibly know is if (A), You were stupid enough to operate the server using a TV provider as an ISP or (B), someone in your group was 'sharing their share' with an untrusted source. And, if such a member was sharing their share for profit, and they happened to share with an undercover TV provider agent, that would be no longer considered for "educational purposes" - it would be a 'payserver'. This would expose the entire group and leave everyone liable to huge fines and (especially for the 'server') a possible prison sentence and criminal record.

This is what happened to starview and U*C. Thanks to their undercover agent being provided with a connection from SV, U*C got the IP address of the server, got the evidence of an illegal 'Payserver' operating, obtained the "pay server" location and then got the equipment with EVERYBODY'S IP address on it. So remember:

* Trusted & reliable group of family/friends
    * Do not be greedy and/or stupid by selling (or even sharing) your share publicly for profit.
    * 'Server' to use a dedicated ISP for the group share that isn't a TV service provider
    * Do not be greedy and/or stupid by selling your share publicly for profit. (I can't stress this enough!!!)

BTW, this is all based on a sat share - haven't done it with cable myself - though there's no reason it wont work the same way. It's just cable sucks, that's all :)

16. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

if you are going to do something illegal there is always a risk you will get caught

17. Joebhoy

Joebhoy Member

Does the starview work in Ireland?

18. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Take it you haven't read any of this thread then no?

Try even reading the page before this and this one and you'll know.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  19. Joebhoy

Joebhoy Member

Yes I have but didnt hooter just asy it's back on in UK?

20. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

read from here >>>>>LINK<<<<<