1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STARVIEW BOX - FANTASTIC! BUT 1 SMALL PROB..

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by randycat, Jan 8, 2007.

1. randycat

randycat Guest

Hi, 1st timer in here & new to all this box stuff but ive been looking into it & decided to buy a Star View box off ebay after seeing hundreds of + feedbacks - I thought i'd give it a go.

Got the box today & hooked it up to my ntl box (upstairs) as my broadband runs off the downstairs one & I think I wil need a two way cable splitter to install a box downstairs without losing my broadband? Will this work? The guy selling the cable splitters says it will as he is set up the same currently.

So anyway, set the SV box up in the bedroom & within 20 minutes I had it working (the box was already loaded with software from seller) I have to say that I am very impressed, if not a little surprised at how simple it was & how good the program guide is to navigate - I much prefer it to the NTL guide. 266 channels loaded & I was made up to be watching the Man U / Villa replay on MUTV as I know that this is not something I was subscribed to.

One problem though that has been baffling me for the past three hours is this:

When i did up my house I ran a coax cable from the bedroom ntl box down into the kitchen/conservatory where I have an 26"lcd on the wall; this worked great from the TV out on the back of the old ntl box meaning what ever channel was on upstairs could be watched in the kitchen also. However, I have now connected the coax to the tv out on the starview box & all I can now get downstairs (after lots of fine tuning) is a good picture but with terrible crackely sound which is impossible to hear over the hissing noise. I also tried the "cable out" from the starview but this then picks up a few random channels excluding what is actually on upstairs!

Would ne1 happen to know if another starview box was connected to the cable out port on the starview in my bedroom via coax if that box could then work independantly? I realise that I could use another two way splitter but this would be a nightmare as the current coax cable is plastered into the walls!

Any advice you could give me on this would be much appreciated as I really need the kitchen/conservatory tv to be able to work as thats where I watch football!!!

2. theberm

theberm Member

the starview box has a built in loop which is cable out,so if you run coax from this to the other room to another box it will work a treet. i also had the same problem you r experiencing. but another box later its fine. different channels in other room, no kids, no wife, great.

3. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Make sure you change the Star View box output to PAL I or the sound will be wrong.

4. theberm

theberm Member

does anybody know whether you get the big fight on starview

5. Dunxs1

Dunxs1 Member

I was thinking of getting one of these boxes, a few weeks ago I had cable put in. A friend got me a chipped ntl box (one with a chipped card )which was tested and worked at his house, however when I tried to connect it at mine it would not boot up, came up with error code LD20, tried at at sisters house and sis in laws house- same prob at both. so returned it and got money back. since then the box has gone to mates cousin who is using the box happily. Confused!!
    Question is if anyone could shed light as to why it would not work at my house, and if I bought the *view box would it work?
    p.s the starview box is cheaper

Thanx in advance for any replies
    Dunx.

6. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

LD20 means the box cannot pass a signal from the cable system to the RF output to allow terrestial channels to be watched without going through the cable box. Sounds like your cable is disconnected, if so no box will work until you get N*L to connect it up to a basic package.

7. Dunxs1

Dunxs1 Member

I have the basic package for tv, thats how i know that the cable is ok, I bought some new f connectors thinking signal was the problem,also tried baring a bit more of the central copper wire on the coax and putting a slight bend in it to make sure it was contacting the box ok.
    The box n*l gave me works fine-same cable,but can't understand why the chipped box wouldn't. It really perplexed me! I was gutted having to hand it back.
    I watched the official n*l box boot up and the sequence went
    LD10 LD20 LD30 LD40 then it would say "starting" then channels would come on. But with the chipped box it stalled at LD20 and wouldn't go any further.
    When I investigated on the net it was stated that LD20 meant bad connection, but I tried all ways to make sure the cable was in the box correctly- to no avail!
    Any Ideas- thanx
    Dunx.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  8. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Sorry, can't help with hacked boxes as it's not allowed on here.

9. Dunxs1

Dunxs1 Member

Ok no prob- the box is no longer with me and i'm just about to buy a d-box, hope it goes smoother than my previous attempt.I was just trying to get a handle on why it wouldn't work.
    My next post will be--- "D-box heeeeelp!!!"
    Dunx.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  10. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

No problem, will look forward to your cries for help!!

11. goodgerj

goodgerj Member

hi there just bought a starview box got it all up and running the only thing im having a problem is that most of the channels are locked like sky movies , sky sports etc.
    please can someone help alot of money for what it is if i only get channels 1 2 3 4 5

12. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Once your scan has completed, either press exit or power off to get out of the screen, then go to Menu and select parental control, from the parental control screen press info button and then put the code 2004 in. This will bring up the hidden option screen.
    At this point you need to go down to key emu and put to (on)
    Now press exit till you get back to the TV picture.
    Change channel to a scrambled channel and wait for the update to run, normally takes about ten to fifteen seconds. When update is complete all channels should be clear.

13. skywatchr

skywatchr Guest

Got my new starbox yesterday. It came with the same instructions mentioned above. i.e. Parental control, pin 2004, switch emu on etc. It worked fine for all of yesterday and last night then the channels all went off today and the instructions wont work. Any clues as to what's happened?

14. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Yes, look at the other posts all around and you will find links to todays fix.

15. goodgerj

goodgerj Member

16. goodgerj

goodgerj Member

17. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

if you read their are atleast 5 posts with a solution to this problem..

18. relay

relay Member

Where can we find these posts, I am having the same issue with starview box as skywatchr..

19. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Look above or below your own post, read a few and all will be clear.

HINT. they will have STARVIEW in the title!!!

20. skywatchr

skywatchr Guest

Hi, I got my problem fixed (perfect again) last night via an update sent to me by the seller. If I haven't mentioned already, he said every starbox in the UK went down yesterday at 10am. If anyone still needs the fix I think there's a way to message me privately via this board, send me your email address and I'll reply a.s.a.p. It costs nowt but you'll need the box to PC cable and the disc you got with the box.