1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview Box or PC

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by stewin, Jul 15, 2007.

1. stewin

stewin Member

I was considering purchasing a starview box.
    Could I just buy a tv card for my PC that would do the same thing connect to my broadband and allow me to get the channels, because i already have a cable that runs to my wall mounted plasma from my PC and would prefer to run it all from the PC if possible.
    Thanks Ste

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You can in principle, but it would be easier for you to get a starview and connect that to your plasma. But you need a coax cable into your house from your provider.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  3. stewin

stewin Member

Thanks for the reply, i already have te***est tv and broadband installed with a splitter before the modem.
    The reason i was considering going down the PC route was it would give me the option to record programmes onto my hard drive for later watching. I have not seen a starview box with a hard drive for this use otherwise it would mean buying a dvd recorder and running the starview through this first before the tv. I found i dont watch a lot of tv I mainly like to watch movies so i down load them on btcomet and watch them on my plasma. This is the reason i am considering getting rid of the tv package i pay for. Do you have any information on what sort of cards work on PCs, i have ahad a read on here and get the impresion that no-one makes a crd that can take the signal and convert it to read on the PC without a reciever box first??? Steve

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry it is quite late and I am heading for the hills. So briefly, if you want to use your pc you can but it will take quite a while and a lot of reading to do this. In essence you may get the hardware/firmware with no problem, but to set it up is a long process if you do not know how.

For the sake of live feed recording similar to a Sly Plus box you can actually get a Starview PVR which has a dual tuner, therefore allowing you to do what you require.

Hope this helps as I will have to bid you goodnight. If you still have queries I will be back on tomorrow.