1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview box

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by malmalmal, Apr 4, 2008.

1. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

It is just a bad flash , it might take up to 10 or more attempts to succeed but it will work lol

If you have a bad flash, switch it off then on at the back & make sure its on standby.
    Then Flash as normal. This also applies to flashing (up & downloading) the channel data file.
    If for some reason you cannot flash and have set and checked everything else such as ports and connections,
    then you should switch off at the back wait a moment then on again. Then try to flash again.

If for some reason it won't go into standby and you see a constant moving green line.
    you may want to wait to see if it goes into standby or switches on eventually or re-flash from this state
    though it may not work. Some users have reported that flashing an older firmware 1st that was working,
    then trying again may help. If your flash has failed or corrupted try again but 1st flash back the firmware
    that was on before your failed flash. Re download the firmware just in case you had a corrupted file then try again.
    If you do flash from the moving green line state at boot, you will see the % increase on the GTRom loader
    software but not on the Starview. Toward the end of the flash you'll see a Flash Burning message in GTRom.
    Make sure you wait until all is finished and you see the Download complete pop up message in GTRom.

Another method you can use to recover from a bad flash, eg. the box won't boot to standby and is stuck
    in pre standby, either after about 3 or 4 moving green lines the box sticks with the green line not moving
    at all or it keeps moving forever. If the box will NOT RE-FLASH as normal from on or standby, try this but it
    may take a few goes to work.

Connect the box to the pc with your cable but switch it off at the back. Load the correct
    firmware bin file into GTRom & set it to the correct com port, and select App file only then hit Download.
    Only then switch on at the back to power on the box. It may take a few sec. so wait at least 30 sec.
    (If it doesn't work 1st time try also waiting a couple of sec. to switch on after pressing download in the loader.) It may take more than 1 try to work, but eventually you'll see the loader kick in and the % bar increase. You won't see the % on the Starview though. Only green lines moving left to right. Towards the end of the flash you'll see a message in GTRom saying FLASH BURNING. Then it will reach 100% and wait for the download complete pop up box to appear & the box will reboot back to factory setup. You will have lost any channel data previously on the box & will need to rescan & switch on EMU and set the box up from scratch.

If you don't know the state of the box switch it on see what happens see if there already has been a channel
    scan done before-meaning there are channels on it working or not. If so tune to an unencrypted channel as above
    then standby then re-flash.

3. superreds

superreds Regular member

no probs thanks for the reply vic

4. Vincentaa

Vincentaa Member

hi all
    just got in and my box is not workin i see that no codes are being posted can anyone help me tell me wat to do now i havn't got a clue and am a total tv addict lol

5. johnfb

johnfb Regular member

Firstly, have you installed the new update for your box or is it that there has been an autoroll and you just need to input the new codes

6. Mattladz

Mattladz Member

Woo Hoo! Got my cable and USB adapter and loaded the new firmware onto my st*rview 1 and my mams St*rview 2, set the default key and it updated itself with the codes (",) Was incredibly easy to do and would recommend everyone to do it as I no longer have to worry about the codes being changed now.

Just wanna say a BIG thank you to everyone on this site for telling me what I needed and how to go about putting new firmware on.

M

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Congrats :)

8. kazzer

kazzer Member

Have a question - left my au pair for 5 days (whilst I went on a short holiday) and told her instructions of how to get codes should they go... get back to find she has somehow screwed my box... when you press menu the second two menu lines are in light green... it happened ages ago in the first week I got the box and I cannot remember how on earth to fix it... and also in the last 5 days no more new codes :( so will have to get off arse and update firmware... mind you I would pay someone the20 euro if they know someone in Dub willing to do.. bit put off by all this info on clone box and real box.

9. johnfb

johnfb Regular member

Ok, first question is: What kind of box do you have and second is, is it a clone or an original.

10. karljd

karljd Regular member

john sc0ucer has already answered this on another thread,kazzer please read the rules before multiposting. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/663378

11. johnfb

johnfb Regular member

Cheers Karl

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  12. rev007

rev007 Guest

hi mate just got a cable to upgrade box starview clone 21 pins in back of pc 9 in back off box is that right?

13. MCLOCO

MCLOCO Member

no its just 9 in box and 9 in pc

14. Mattladz

Mattladz Member

Hey, sorry was off line till now. You need a 9pin female to 9 pin female null modem cable. Also if your pc / laptop doesn;t have the 9 pin MALE socket, you will have to get a USB adaptor also. I bought mine in Maplin's in Dublin. The guy laughed when I asked for it and said 'we've sold thousands of these over the last month' Hope this helps you out.

M

15. Broma

Broma Member

Hi All,

Apologies if I am in the wrong place with this query but not being very technical, alot of what is written on these threads goes so far over my head I have a permanenet crick in my neck from looking up!

Anyway, I am in Dublin and have N*L digital (just took great pleasure in calling them to cancel!)- I recently got myself a Starbox 3 Super and installed it last night, its work perfectly and I could not be happier, plugged it in and away it goes.

My query is simply - what else in terms of channels can this little blessing pick up? And how do I get access to them? I am not looking for thousands of foreign language or home shopping channels, but an example is Channel 5 for instance?

Any help appreciated and answers I can simply print off and follow would be perfect. Apologies for the long post but am hoping I have made it quite clear what I am asking...

Thanks Guys

16. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You will only get what the providers carry, e.g. Channel 5 is not available in Ireland on cable.

17. Broma

Broma Member

Ah shame...thanks mate..

one other thing, will I get the PPV stuff like the boxing for example when its on?

18. rev007

rev007 Guest

19. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep.....when its on.

20. Mattladz

Mattladz Member

Hey Rev007,

I bought cable and adaptor because was told here that the 9pin female to 9pin female is the only cable that will work for putting new firmware on st*rview boxes. I used mine and it was updated in a few mins and has worked perfectly since, so as far as I know the cable you have won;t work. Maybe the more technically minded members or moderators could confirm this?

M