1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview fakes

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by mikeygb69, May 11, 2007.

1. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

I think its about time this problem got sorted out once & for all. Theres a lot of mixed opinions going around about how to spot a fake, any one who "thinks" they know how to spot one shouldnt really comment. surely theres people out there that actually know the difference.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.satdownloads.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5362.0

(FREE registration required)

look at the pictures

now you know the difference between legit & fake - but do you???
    If you actually read the posts from other people under the pics you will see that the pics have confused a lot of people as they have so-called fakes but arent having the problems they should be. Then theres people saying the pics are actually the wrong way round. So whats the truth? Lets help each other out by posting in this thread what their box looks like, what firmware version they have installed, first few digits of serial number (to figure out the true age of box) & any problemsthey are having. This should answer the question about which are fakes or not.

Please state whether your box is long or short, looking at the back which side are the scarts? how many grooves are under remote? just like the pics.

Lets sort this once & for all people

2. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Hi
    Was looking on the satfiles site and i must say even looking at the pictures they themselves are confused they dont know wheather or not they have the pictures turned the wrong way round so i think it is still stale mate also i think myself that the 257 file is the better of all the files released it seems to be more stable that the others the latest ones for some reason cause freezing and keep coming up not all the time but scrambled i have one of each one has 257 the other 259 the 259 seems to freeze and lose picture maybe someone else can shed more light on this who is better qualified in this area than i am thanks great forum

3. 310radio

310radio Member

The pictures are correct, it just people won't admit they bought a clone, even though not their fault.

4. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Hi
    So which one is the correct one the bigger of the two or the smaller what is going to be the problem if they are working now are they going to shut down stop working or not be able to unscramble the signal or you just wont be able to flash them thanks

5. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Hi
    So which one is the correct one the bigger of the two or the smaller what is going to be the problem if they are working now are they going to shut down stop working or not be able to unscramble the signal or you just wont be able to flash them thanks i have bought the small ones and are working fine just sometimes the one with 259 seems to freeze and gets scrambled only for a couple of seconds the one that has 257 does not seem to do this might flash the 257 on to the 259 and see will that cure the problem

6. 310radio

310radio Member

The pictures are correct and the smaller one is the clone, which is based on the 1st generation Starview. Your best bet is to flash 2.57 on it and leave it as that is most stable.

7. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

how do you know its fake??

8. 310radio

310radio Member

Because these are the ones being killed off with the official Starview 2.60 file. I had one myself and it was shot 2 days after installing 2.60.
    My other 2, same as bigger one (genuine) have been fine since installing on 26/04/2007. These are a better quality also. Unfortunately, there seems to be as many clones as genuine boxes out there and so many people have bought them, including suppliers and dealers without knowing this.

9. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

how do you know its the "official" release? its not difficult to modify a firmware file. someone could have edited it (a certain cable provider perhaps) to work for a few days then kill the box. i know theres some 260 boxes out there that are still working, maybe a "certain cable provider" didnt get to them in time - who knows!! I dont think its fair telling people theyve got copied boxes when no one actually has proof of what the copies look like or even their existance. Only the manufacturers could know this so hopefully they might come across these threads and put all our minds at rest!

10. TAFSIR

TAFSIR Regular member

thats what this site is about

http://www.satdownloads.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5362.0

as it the main site for starview receivers firmware updates

also its upto you too decide by looking at the pic's on the site,

as i have 2 of the smaller boxes i got about a year ago, & i put the firmware 260ee on the night it cameout, all working fine still,

SO really its upto you to decide if you think you have a fake or orginal receiver,

11. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Re Starview
    If the Satdownloads site gave out the firmware for the 260e how could it have been tampered with as you would have to be able to modify the firmware and then put it back up on the site with eagles login password this is hardly likely so if it is fake it must be the moderator putting it up is that what you are saying so everyone will buy his product only as long as they stay working whether fake or not people should just leave them alone what is the old saying if it not broke dont fix it

12. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

i didnt get it from that site, neither did a lot of people, theres a link on one of these threads, i got mine from there

13. markyrush

markyrush Guest

IT WAS THE WIZZARDS FREIND THAT MODDED IT ANYONE WHO READS THE FORUM AND SEEN MY NOTICE BEFORE IT WAS DELETED BY MODS THOUGHT I WAS MAKING IT ALL UP NOW THEY ARE MAILING ME FOR MORE INFO.

14. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Yes i have been on the site and he said they would modify a flash file which will kill off the copy box just as well i did not use his flash files or mine would be dead thanks for that bit of information where is the link to the file for 257e on this forum anyone know thanks

15. markyrush

markyrush Guest

16. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

thats where i got mine from

17. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Yes got it thanks does it work ok

18. markyrush

markyrush Guest

if u want i can send u 100% tested 1 markyrushe@yahoo.co.uk

19. TAFSIR

TAFSIR Regular member

where do you thing people got the firmware 260ee from m8

it just gets passed around from people to people, as you now (from one site to another site), as i am sure the guy who posted on this site did now write the firmware himself

20. asad78611

asad78611 Member

Yh. I din't write those flash files. I got the 260 APi from www.satfiles.co.uk but because people kept asking me for it and the site reequires registration to download. I just reuploaded it and posted it on Afterdawn

Edit:

Seems the firmware changes the boot loader.

Last edited: May 16, 2007