1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview Firmware

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by asad78611, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 310radio

310radio Member

Who is your supplier, if you don't mind naming him?

2. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

i dont think its such a good ideanaming people on here. hes one of the main suppliers in the teeside area if that helps.

3. 310radio

310radio Member

Not really. Just sounds like a good dealer unlike some around. Does he sell on ebay?

4. mikeygb69

mikeygb69 Regular member

no, doesnt use internet for selling, relies on word of mouth. Hes sold 1000's considering the lack of "advertising" got a lot of trust worthy friends though

5. steo46

steo46 Regular member

I just found out from wizard that there will be no more updates available for the old starview box. He's really shown his true colours now. i would not buy anything from him again.

6. 310radio

310radio Member

But he did say support, which means if new firmware is needed to receive channels it will be provided, just no updates with little fixes like aspect ratio etc...

7. dazzlet

dazzlet Member

are the manifactures of the copied starview releasing any firmware that is suitable for their boxes or is it the end of the road for them boxes.

8. asad78611

asad78611 Member

the starview is probably going to get firmware upgrades from other places and beings

9. richiemkk

richiemkk Member

Hi asad

I used the 257 at the start of the thread for my bx as it had no software on it when bought!
    Thing is, now the bx has a small line running across the front of the screen , and it doesnt seem to operate??
    Im sure i downloaded it ok>>>

Any ideas as to what has happened?
    And can you help with what to do matey??
    i'manidiot.com edited by ddp

cheers ps anyone else has an idea im lost!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  10. asad78611

asad78611 Member

when you say the box doesn't operate are you saying the box doesn't show anything at all. And what do you mean by line? Does the box front panel indicator show any lights, can you reflash it?

11. richiemkk

richiemkk Member

When i first got the bx it scanned but would not unscramble chans, even after emu key set.
    Spoke to seller who told me it had no software on it, and i had to do this!
    i took the 257 above and loaded it with the gt via the 9 pin lead.
    My laptop was showing it as downloading , but as soon as it finished all i had was this short line running across the front of the bx screen from left to right???
    It seems the bx has froze up!!
    ive tried to re flash it , and it does not correct it.
    I have a blue screen on the tv and on the bx screen just this moving green line were the channel number would be..
    I cannot seem to get the bx to function!!

i have 257 on another bx and its sweet/
    The software seems to download ok .
    I just put it into the gt and connected it up and pressed download.
    Im lost bro

12. asad78611

asad78611 Member

When you said you used a 9 pin lead with your laptop was it a USB or serial. And are you sure it was an RS-323 lead. The USB lead does not work from what I have heard

13. richiemkk

richiemkk Member

The seller sent this lead witht the bx It looks like a serial lead.
    It fits into the laptop and the serial port on the starview
    Its female to female and has small screws either side like a serial lead..
    When i did the download i noticed the screen on the front of the bx changed!
    It cleared then this green line started running across.
    Now i cannot get into the menus or anything!!

14. asad78611

asad78611 Member

Before you flashed your box: did you make sure your box said OK?
    When you flashed your box: was your box following the same number as on the laptop as in the percentage?
    After you flashed your box: did you wait approximately 20 secs after your computer said 100 %

15. richiemkk

richiemkk Member

Did not set the bx in any way.
    Just switched it on and started the load up!
    I just did the download on it as i thought it was blank!!
    Also there was nothing on the bx to indicate the status of the down load
    Could this be a big ooopsss!!
    And if so can i correct the bx??

16. bastille

bastille Member

I finally got my Starview box to work(260) no thanks to Wizard who sent me a box which woould only say "bad or scrambled channel". He offered zero support,didn't said all that was ordered, no reply to emails, no answer on the telephone.
    I can only advise people to buy from one of the many other dealers out there.

17. 310radio

310radio Member

Where did you get the 2.60 file from? It was released by wizard for their boxes. If that is not support what is? The support from wizard is on satdownloads.co.uk. Many other dealers are selling clone boxes, be interesting to see what support they offer.

18. bastille

bastille Member

I had to hunt around the internet myself for anything I could find about starview. Not a single word from wizard pointing me in the right direction despite requests. That is what I call no support.

19. topcat96

topcat96 Regular member

I got my starview frm Wizard as well ... said it would come with the latest updates, ready to run out of the box, blah blah blah ...

Got no help at all from him, finally found this place and my starview box has been as good as gold with the '257 firmware provided by Asid.

Since then, brought 10 more boxes and they never came from Wizard yet every single one DID run straight out of the box ... go figure huh?

Wizard gets no more of my custom. Once bitten, twice shy!

20. the2twins

the2twins Guest

READ THIS
    AND DONT UPDATE TO 2.60

Here is some interesting news for all about the 260 file i found
    There has been a lot of uncertainty over the 2.60e_E bin file that came out recently for the Starview receiver. I have been looking into this in depth and have found out quite a lot. A lot of people will say it is to do with "clone" receivers but I won't entertain that term myself. There are 2 versions of the Starview out at the moment and this does not include the new Starview called "The Box". One of the versions is bigger than the other, does not say "Made in Korea" on the box or receiver and has a slightly bigger remote and the rear panel layout is different to the other as this one has the Scart sockets on the left as you look at the back. The second version is smaller than the first one, does say "Made in Korea" on the rear panel and packaging box, has a slightly smaller remote and the Scart sockets are on the Right as you look at the rear panel. This one has been called a "clone" by some. Both have now ceased production I believe but I cannot be certain of that. The real main difference between the two is the bigger box's processor runs at 85MHz and the smaller box's processor runs at 65MHz. Now this is where the 2.60 bin file comes into it. The 2.60 bin file released on the 26/04/2007 was designed for the LARGER box only which runs at 85MHz. This is why the smaller box fails after a short time, hours, days or even weeks, because the processor cannot cope with the increased speed. The 2.60 bin file was only designed for the larger boxes through who has them made and imports them as they do not want to support other versions, which they say are "clones". There is now a "fixed" version of 2.60 out now which is modified by a distributor of the smaller receivers to run the same as the previous 2.59 and 2.57 versions and be safe for the smaller boxes. Both files are available and are safe to use but only as stated above for each box. These could be posted in our downloads but I will leave that up to satman to decide. In any event, any software that is downloaded from anywhere on the internet comes with some element of risk but we do ensure to only upload files that are safe. Therefore the 2.60 file that was on here for a short time WAS safe as I first said but only for the larger type Starview receiver which at that time, no-one knew that this was the case, except the developers of this file. Whether this was an underhand tactic to destroy the other, smaller version of Starview or not has been argued on other forums but I have no time for that. I hope this report of my findings help clear up the recent events with Starview files and even though there are safe versions of 2.60 for both types of boxes, there really is no dire need to update as previous versions all work on autoroll so the choice is yours.
    This is based on my findings only and is for information only as no doubt people on other forums will disagree.

the2twins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.