1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STARVIEW PROBLEMS - ***NO CODES HERE ANYMORE***

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Celtic71, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

cc == cable company

ad == afterdawn

all the people on here for the past year have been asking and advising people to update there boxes to the Auto roll well now they will have to as they will no longer have a choice in the matter if there is no keys available

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  2. novemberfox

novemberfox Member

I think these points should be made in the Forum rules update: NO CODE POSTING ALLOWED thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/662154

3. johnfb

johnfb Regular member

Granted they could update their boxes but you MUST always look at each individual case and not everyone is capable or has the technical understanding to do this. Just becasue it is easy for us to understand all the info here....others may not. I work with people who can just about manage to turn on their computer and not much else.

I accept the principle of not allowing code updates....I just wonder at the balance and fairness of it, thats all.

I wonder if the rest of us had trouble understanding the tech aspect of uploads and firmwares would we be so fast to tell others the codes are not available any more?????

4. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

cheers..id say its gonna be fun next code change now!!

5. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

if you can update the codes in a box you can flash it it is actuall harder to update the codes than to flash the box as you only need do this once

And the reason people find it easy to put codes in is because it is they have to do it so ofter gets easier with time

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

John its not "legal" anymore pure and simple, the forum is much more than about posting codes and I myself have defended people who "cannot" update their boxes, due to reasons you have given above, as said the codes are always available in some form or other.

BTW do you not think I try to help people here, its what a forum is about?

7. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

We always helped people on here to update there boxes going on now for over a year now at this stage

People have to learn to help themselves as well we can only do so much to help them as we are not beside them to see if something goes wrong

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Hi Ferg seen it coming did you? ;)

9. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Yep only a matter of time mate but as always i can see lots of banning going on here as soon as the codes roll as they are not allowed to edit the code posts either best just to get rid like i have done

That way people will have to update if they want to watch freeview

a year to update there box is plenty of time in my mind

10. novemberfox

novemberfox Member

My 60 year old mother has a Starview and it was updating itself up until recently. She would ring me to get the updated codes as she doesn't have the internet. She always had the previous keys to hand and noticed that only one row of keys were changed per update and the Starview would always be out by one letter. The letter that was wrong was always out by one place. For example a "C" should have been an "B" or a "D". Now when the keys roll she just changes each letter, in the row that has been updated, up or down one until she gets correct code. She said it takes about 5 minutes and has not called me since mid April.

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep things will get quite lets say head scratching when they change. Which by rights should be pretty soon, people tend to become resourceful when they really need to be.

12. malci

malci Guest

Hi, fergus and scOuser, yes afraid you are correct, and as you have pointed out all the other forums have gone down the same track and it can't be coincidence! - anyway a lot of signatures have to be altered, just done mine - take care.

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep the old Svs have almost got AU and are usually as indicated missing just one digit after a roll. How about you update it for your mother :)

14. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

I hate to say this but you are on the Pc now why not get the box from your Mum and update it for her then there will be no more problems that is the simplest answer to that

15. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep altering as we speak ;)

16. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

you're bang on scouser!!its a needs must situation now and if they want to watch tv now they'll actually have to do something about it now instead of expecting threads like this to just keep providing the easy answer....so glad i did mine!!

17. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Yep things will get quite lets say head scratching when they change. Which by rights should be pretty soon, people tend to become resourceful when they really need to be.[/quote]

Well lets say it will be a code changing weekend i would say and a lot of people getting banned for either posting codes or for asking for them

and i know they can say we can register again that is true but the problem being the register goes on your ip address and not your name so all they do is ban the ip address and you cant gain access

18. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

[/quote]
    you're bang on scouser!!its a needs must situation now and if they want to watch tv now they'll actually have to do something about it now instead of expecting threads like this to just keep providing the easy answer....so glad i did mine!![/quote]

We will take up knitting after everyone updates :)

19. malci

malci Guest

Dead right vicky, but the only problem is there are a lot of people out there with just the one box, and when the firmware is ripped apart, as it will and usually does - that's when the fun starts!!, but as scOuser has pointed out that is when the power of the pm. comes to play, as opposed to people getting a ban.

20. novemberfox

novemberfox Member

Because [and don't take this the vulgar way] I have to open up her box and check if it is a clone. It has 7 X 18 vents but I read that 7 X 18 vents does not neccessarily mean it is a clone.

Am I right in saying that I can then use the CryptStar-v1.4-Core257.bin if a box is a clone or original Starview?

I'm in Dublin, Ireland on N*L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.