1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview PVR Tempremental Recording

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by JimJammer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JimJammer

JimJammer Member

I have a Starview PVR connected to an VirMed line and working perfectly. Since I installed it though, HDD recording is somewhat hit and miss. At first I though it may be a descrambling thing but we have experienced problems with recording any channel.

The HDD records the video, it appears in the recorder list and has space on the HDD but it won't play back. The scene search scrolls through the time index but no picture or sound (although once it recorded the sound and no picture)

Can't figure it out. Has anyone else experienced such a phenominom?

2. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi quite a common problem
    STARVIEW PVR RECORDING ISSUES
    This is for PVR problems with Lack of recording, Blocky, Jumpy or pixelated recordings, Freezing recordings and No playback of recordings.
    Your incomming signal strength is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR and MUST be good.
    Assuming you have a good incoming signal strength from your supplier and no splitters, no long runs, old cable or joins to start with, the problem will be, that because you have two tuners connected (second with loop cable) the second tuner has a lower signal strength than the first tuner which has the main input cable connected. You can do a test for this by disconnecting your loop cable and doing some recordings from tuner one only. If this cures your problem you could do a further test by using a splitter to feed a cable into the loop socket (second tuner) Then do some test recordings. You do need to be using a decent 7200 rpm IDE drive, if not get one and try before doing the above tests.
    A final VERY IMPORTANT TIP that really works is to switch the recorder off then on again prior to setting any pre-recorded EPG timer recordings and delete any unwanted watched recordings to keep the Hard Drive as low as possible on stored data.
    Samsung Spinpoint drives have a good reputation in PVR's if you need one or don't have one in your's yet.
    jbvid

3. JimJammer

JimJammer Member

That's interesting, I do have a passive splitter before the PVR as I run the original cable box too - the EPG is better! Perhaps a signal booster between the tuners would help, my signal isn't bad - no pixelating or locking up etc.

I have noticed that the EPG needs a daily reboot though, I hope they fix this with a software update.

I am able to record the UHF signal coming out of the PVR on a separate HDD/DVD recorder.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

4. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    If you are sure your signal is good and you are not missing any channels you shouldn't need a booster, just try my latter option first which really works, to switch Off STB then On again prior to setting any EPG timers up.
    Also before switch off/on delete any unwanted/watched recordings from H/D.
    jbvid

5. JimJammer

JimJammer Member

Also, do you know if it's possible to recover the recorded but not veiwable material?

If I connect up my laptop and access the HDD in Windows mode, can I copy the file and play the video on a computer, perhaps re-producing it to a DVD?

6. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Not tried retrieving any files via USB but if they will copy across I am sure they are in .TS (Transport Stream) format so would need converting to MPEG2 to burn to a disc.
    jbvid

7. JimJammer

JimJammer Member

Gave it a go, they are stored in .pvr format (the video and audio) and .g&b format (titles i guess)one file for each chapter saved on the PVR

Copied the files over to my Laptop and tried to open them using Cyberlink power director, windows media player and downloaded something called AVS Video Remaker but noting reads the .pvr format.

Tried renaming the file to video_ts.vob, no good.

8. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    This should sort you out came across Womble MPEG Video Wizard, and this opens the recorded Starview.PVR files no probs and converts to mpeg2.
    jbvid