1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview Tuner Error

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by myloyams, Oct 29, 2007.

1. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

Have a starview stb, turns on and does what it says on the tin.......only when the cable line is disconnected from it !!

As soon as I reconnect the cable wire to it, it goes nuts, turns off, then back on, then starts throwing up what appears to be error codes, It also stops responding to the remote control, and the buttons on the front of it.
    I've re flashed the firmware on it, (no difference, still mental), Also J-Tagged it, and re flashed it again, absolutely no difference.
    Has anyone got any ideas ? or has anyone else had a similar experience with these ??

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sounds strange, have you tried another box on the same feed?

3. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

I read about the "hanging on zero" thing, took a look at the PSU, and it looks like it might be a blown cap,so I picked up a new cap today, just in from work so I'll give it a go later. Got nothing to lose at this stage. I'll post the results later.
    Should have said earlier that this started happening just after a power cut, everything seems to point at it being a blown cap on the board, only one way to find out........................

4. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

Well that was easy.
    All back together and working perfectly, Now if only there was something worth watching...................................................

5. slater27

slater27 Member

Hey myloyams I have the same problem can you talk me through the procedure you followed to rectify your box please?

6. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

1 remove the cap (c21) electrolytic near the ribbon on the psu board
    boot the box , it should boot to on and function corectly , the psu will hum inore it , just let it boot to ON ,then turn it back off,
    then replace electrolytic cap (c11) 1000 mic @10v on the psu board , resolder (c21)
    thats it done.
    Plug
    this will allso fix compleatly dead SV boxes even if the voltages ar correct at the ribbon

thanks to plug1 on digital-forums

I followed these instructions, only thing I did differently was I got a 1000uF @16V Cap.
    If you look closely, you'll see the top of the cap bulging upwards, compare it to the others which are flat at the top.
    Take your time, dont rush through it and you'll be happy with the results.

7. slater27

slater27 Member

thats fine mate thanx but where will i get such a cap from? How long did it take you

8. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

You'll get the cap in Maplins. It only took me a few mins, but if your'e not familiar with electronics and soldering it might take a little longer. All the cap numbers are printed on the PSU board, just take your time with it, and make sure your soldering iron is fully up to temperature before you start.
    If you're in Dublin, I can do it for you if you're not sure what to do.
    Good Luck.

9. slater27

slater27 Member

Thank you for your help, my box is now up and running, I have lost sound on a few of the channels, but I will just re-flash the box.