1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STARVIEW UPDATING FIRMWARE - NO CODE BEGGING HERE

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Celtic71, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malci

malci Guest

Interesting question, I suppose it comes down to individual choice, EPG etc. personally I prefer the Eu**vox for the reason I stated, I know that there is a problem in Ireland but in the UK it is realy spot on, and from a first time user point of view the Star***w is much simpler, as I say - individual point of view and choice.

2. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

here malci...des you two are proper geniuses so you can answer this for me...a few times now iv had people say that when they go to device manger that there is no option for com ports...why is this and what is the solution?iv always asked if they have installed the adaptor but sometimes it doesn't involve an adaptor...there is just no option for ports(com and lpt)

3. nedxd06

nedxd06 Member

most modern pcs dont have a serial port so unless you use some thing like a bluetooth adapter the port will not show unless a usb/serial adapter is plugged in. hope this makes sense.

4. malci

malci Guest

I honestly cannot answer that vic, I know where your coming from and unless I was looking over there shoulder I couldn't really solve their problem, it depends what PC they are using (probably should ask) it may be an issue with Windows Vista? can't say for sure, but for sure they have (minimum) com ports 1 and LPT 1 if they are on XP, and I have had them available on all versions from Win95, can only speak from my own experience, scOuser - fergus - Celtic best bet for the answer.

5. DesB

DesB Regular member

Geniuses yeah right LOL
    As far as I know the only time you need an adaptor is when there is a problem with the com port not opening, therefore an other option is to try flashing using the USB option, this is using the null modem attached to an adaptor that goes into the USB in the Pc, well thats my reckoning anyway, now am I still a genious?

If all else fails try this with the compliments of Celtic and hijacked by Karl....

ok try this courtesy of celt71(thanks celt to lazy to type meself)To see which port your USB adapter is connected to, connect your USB adapter and follow the following instructions:

1. Go to the Start Menu
    2. Right click on "My Computer"
    3. Select "Properties"
    4. Click on the "Hardware" tab
    5. Click on "Device Manager"
    6. Click the + sign next to "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    7. One of the listed ports should indicate which port your USB adapter is connected to (e.g. COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.)
    8. Go back to your map software program that you use to transfer data and make sure it is looking at the correct port.
    9. You should be able to transfer data once the correct port is selected

If you need drivers go here

http://www.gilsson.com/usb_drivers_download.htm

Follow my advice to step 7. Locate your USB Adapter (port *)

Right click on that port and select properties. Then select port settings, then select advanced. At the bottom of that tab will be a drop down box with the port selected (port * in your case). Use the drop down to select another port (eg 1, 2 or 3). If the port you want to use is already allocated to something else, you can use the same procedure to reassign that port after you have finished.
    Save the selections in the usual way. The USB converter will be permanently assigned to the port you selected

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

so what you're saying is when they tell me they have no option for ports its cos they haven't plugged in either the null modem cable or usb adaptor?...i have a lappy and when i check mine right now with nothing plugged in i still show ports(com & lpt)

7. malci

malci Guest

Des, I thought the question was that they did not have that option lol, or have I misread the question? getting near bedtime.

8. karljd

karljd Regular member

highjacked des more likely borrowed!

9. malci

malci Guest

Right vic, and that's the way I see it, in use or not it is there.

10. DesB

DesB Regular member

you could be right Malci... I am still in shock.. I have been called a lot of things on this site but Genious.. that threw me for a minute LOL..

11. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

ok now see the bit at step 6 click on ports...well iv had a couple of people say that they dont have it there as an option at all.
    and there not always using adaptors...what threw me was one day i said that maybe the computer was not recognising the cable or the adaptor and to re-install them and some fella came on and took the pi#s so i thought maybe there was another answer that i hadn't picked up yet...

12. DesB

DesB Regular member

Borrowed... Southside for hijacking... LOL

13. nedxd06

nedxd06 Member

14. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

thats it malci...mine is there right now...but these people say that its not there at all...

15. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

is that like curious....southside for nosey!lol

16. DesB

DesB Regular member

Vicky as I said earlier, I havent had to do this,so there fore i am not yet up to speed on it, and dont want to be sending you in the wrong direction, perhaps as Malci suggested if you wait till later the Night Owls will see it and answer it for you!!

17. nedxd06

nedxd06 Member

what version of windows are you using and under lpt what ports does it show

18. vicatron

vicatron Regular member

cheers des if i get anyone else asking thats what i'll tell them to do.im winging it most of the time as you know so when folk have a real problem im lost!!thats when i pass to the genius that is you and the rest of the lads!lol

19. karljd

karljd Regular member

Is that westie speak des?

20. DesB

DesB Regular member

Morning Karl ,Your getting slower!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.