1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview - What does flashing mean?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by krazyasif, Jul 13, 2007.

1. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Sorry to sound ignorant .. but i've read a few thread on THEBOX about "flashing" and "reflashing" ... without sounding stupid hehe what is flashing? is it another word for downloading software? i.e. firmware?

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes all explained in the pm I sent you.

3. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Thanks MAte ... a star:)

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Questions answered I presume :)

5. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Yeh most of them hehe

Just one thing I am not sure about.

I've sent an email to the guy I bought it from (think its original not clone) and asked him waht coming in the box. He says supplied is ann RS232 cable. Now is that the Dull MOdem cable?

thanks for that link though ... its got some great stuff on it:)

6. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

when you get your new box there should be a null modem cable and a cd disc on it there are files for doing your flashing if you are in the uk you need the v4.51 or if in Ireland v4.50 make sure you have the right one for your box the disc will prob only have the v4 so if so you can download it from the eko link at the bottom of my post hope this helps you

7. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Sorry for butting in and hope I dont confuse you here lol

Last week a guy asked me to flash "The B0x" .. He got the cable with his but had terrible trouble doing it , I tryed at least 3 times and the same thing happened , kept failing .. I decided to use my "Null Modem Cable" and it worked first time .. So I think "The B0x" might be supplied with the R232 cable ? Therefore it keeps failing .

8. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Nice one celt that will be handy for future reference thanks for the info it all helps

9. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

No problem Fergus , I actually tryed it on 2 of "THE B0X" and same thing happened . So it does seem its the R232 :)

10. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

i have one upstairs that a guy gave me off the box must look at it and see what one he was sent as i used my own to flash his box so will look at it tomorrow

11. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

I will be dying to know if its the same as the R232 and they supply the wrong one lol

12. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

You are right they are the wrong ones they are SL 901 cables are completely different from the null modem cables that is why so many people are having so much problems flashing the boxes well now we are aware we know what the problem is we can tell them i wonder what sort of muppets they have working for them the dont know the difference Ha Ha

13. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

mine flashed ok with the cable they supplied .... used USB to Seriel Port adapter as using laptop and worked a treat:)

14. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

You must be one of the lucky ones that got the correct cable with your box other people have been less fortunate