1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step by Step instructions from DVD to WMV?

Discussion in 'PDA discussion' started by newguru, Mar 10, 2005.

1. newguru

newguru Member

I'm having a hard time finding some step by step instructions on the easiest way to get a DVD and put it in a format like WMV that will play on my Audiovox SMT 5600. I have heard of people being able to make around 90 Meg full movies for their phones. Can anyone help on this? It seems like it is overcomplicated from what I have read. It would be nice if there was some software that did it all but I guess there isn't so far?

2. s2a

s2a Regular member

there is software that can put a dvd movie in a 128 MB card, i 4got wat its called if you answer bak then ill tell u wat its called cuz now i cant

3. newguru

newguru Member

OK...responding back. If you think of what the software is, I would appreciate it.

4. s2a

s2a Regular member

go to www.makayama.com there is a software that u can transfer a whole dvd movie to a 128 MB card using windows media player 9 on your poket pc, I also no another one but I cant remember it now, but this will do, I hope

5. s2a

s2a Regular member

i read that you can do this with the psp as well using the same software (i think) by putting it in a 128 memory stick

6. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

[bold]newguru[/bold] - did you ever get a DVD onto your Audiovox SMT 5600? I have the same phone and have been trying all day to use the PocketDVD software to copy one of my movies. I have made many mistakes and gotten bad converted files (mostly just no sound). The current conversion has been running for several hours - I hope this is the winner.

Let me know if you've had any luck.

7. newguru

newguru Member

I honestly gave up on trying to do my own DVDs and instead settled on downloading DIVX movies from the newsgroups and simply using the Microsoft Media Converter (free download from microsoft.com).

Doing my own was just too big of a pain in the ass so I took the lazy approach.

The easiest method I had found for converting your own though was to get this software:

http://www.makayama.com/mmm130smartphonefaq.html

It is easy to use: simply pop your DVD you want to convert into your computer and start the program and then its simply one button to rip it, encode and resize it to fit your phone.

There are MUCH MORE COMPLICATED other ways to do it but honestly, for something I would just be using to show off to friends when I was out, it just wasn't worth the time and effort to make it happen.

Not sure if this is the answers you wanted but I wanted to at least reply to you and let you know the direction I went on mine.

8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Are you getting full length Divx movies from the usergroups? If so what user groups are your searching? I wouldn't mind skipping the work in some cases.

The Mayakama website and software looks interesting. I will download the trial version and take it for a drive.

Nero Recode 2 has an option for converting files for mobile use - I tried the first half of the process and it works perfectly. I can't test it on my phone until my 1GB miniSD card arrives on 5/17. I have used this process successfully to create movies on a memory stick for my PSP console.

9. newguru

newguru Member

alt.binaries.movies.divx

10. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Thanks!

I just installed my 1GB miniSD card and I'm having a heck of a time getting the phone to recognize the card. One Audiovox support rep told me a lot of people are having the same problem and he thought the phone only supports 128MB cards. Another rep told me it should work.

I finally tried a warm boot by removing the battery with the phone turned on. When I put the battery back in and turn it on, the storage card is there - weird. I tried copying a movie file to the card and it just keeps loading forever and never stops. I was able to place a small picture file on the card.

What size do you use? Have you heard of my issue? Thanks!

Hold the phone - it just completed the copy!!!! I zipped the file and tried again - now I'm trying the phone's extraction software to get the file unzipped. That worked!

Crap, the file format is .mp4 and I'm hearing the audio, but no video. Is .mp4 the same as mpeg4? Is this the wrong format for Media Player? I wonder if I can get Real Player for my phone?

11. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

[bold]newguru[/bold] - can you tell me the name of the Microsoft Media Converter? Or send me a link? I'm at the site and there are several downloads that may or may not be what you mentioned. Windows Media Encoder 9 seems to be the closest. Thanks!

12. newguru

newguru Member

Thats it! They don't have a version 10 out yet.

13. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Looks like a great tool, but unfortunately it cannot support the conversion of mpeg4 - it looks like Microsoft took a different direction than mpeg4. They sort of support the standard, but not in any meaningful way. They actually have a white paper on "Microsoft and the MPEG4 Standard" - their way of saying it was a great concept but we've decided to make something better.

That makes Nero Recode 2 useless for my Smartphone - since it outputs .mp4 files. It still works well for my PSP though.

14. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

[bold]newguru[/bold] - I am completely ignorant when it comes to newsgroups. I found a sight that appears to contain alt.binaries.movies.divx (there were other search results that no longer existed). The posts here are greek to me. There appears to be many parts to one movie. If I click on one part I find there are even more parts contained. For example I picked Sweet Home Alabama, BTV_Alabama.part059.rar, then I see 36 parts under the MessageID. How do I download this correctly?

Many of the movie titles appear hard to decipher. Are these full length movies? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

15. chrshoopr

chrshoopr Member

The easiest way I've found to convert DVD's is using a program called Eazy VCD, which was actually created to take a DVD, convert it and compress the file size so that it can fit on a regular CD, and then the CD can be played on a DVD player as though the CD were an actual DVD. Great product for back in the day when buying blank DVD's were still expensive. It's also free! Here's the URL: http://www.eazyvcd.tk/
    It's VERY easy to use, just put in a DVD and hit rip! Just choose the option to save the output file as an MPeg.
    Then I use Windows Media Encoder to encode the MPeg movie that Eazy VCD converted, into WMV format. Here's the URL for that as well and it's free also:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
    The Windows Media Encoder is a wonderful work of art allowing you UNBELIEVABLE options for bitrate conversion to your every taste. I myself use 100Kb on the video bitrate and 20Kb at 44.1 Khz on the audio bitrate at a resolution of course of 220X176 to get perfect movies to watch with a file size result of about 90MB's for an average 100 minute movie. I can get about 10 to 12 movies on my 1GB card that way.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005