1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stepping down as mod, leaving forum!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Dela, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Hello :)

Well its been 2 years since I joined this month and to be honest, I dont know how long I've been a mod.

The forum was once a fun place to hang out, but its like hostile territory these days. Lately some very lame users at Afterdawn decided to go on a war path against myself and other forum users. One in particular attacked the decision of making CoZZa a Senior Member, and also seems to have a mad conspiracy theory involving our channel on addictz. Of course it was all rediculous, and no matter how many times you explain the reasons for CoZZa's promotion, it just doesn't sink in. This is just 1 of many stupid childish things that have happened recently and all this crap has ben going on for months straight. Afterdawn suddenly became just a headache for me instead of a hobby, i couldn't stay posting more than a few days with it. So I requested that I be dropped from the mod team, dunno when that'll happen. All thats imporant now is I reach my aim of a post count which was 10,000 which will only take a couple of days (9942 messages as writing). And for those lamers who'll want to attack that post count and say chat threads etc.... the majority of my posts were made in forums like vcd/svcd, filesharing and when I used to post in the PS2 section. Ive only began chatting on threads when the other forums started going downhill.

So basically I'll stay on IRC, i'll submit guides, idea's and feed the FAQ more (which im glad to say i suggested :)) but I dont want to have to ever post on this forum again. And if I do, it will just be private messages if i ever recieve any! So it's been cool, well, most of the time anyways. I might join another forum and see how things are elsewhere too if im ever bored. This forum has taken too much out of me lately and I hate it now, so whats the point in me being a mod?

Well cya guys :) Was cool while it lasted!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.BillLonero.com - Check out a true artists music!

aD channel on IRC: irc.addictz.net #ad_buddies
    Newbie IRC Guide- http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47221[/small]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  2. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Well, i joined on 26th January, 2004.

Lurked around a bit for a month or so, then started to post.

I totally agree with Dela, that there as been to much bitching going on by Certain People, who know who they are, that is just not called for.

Every since Dela suggested me to become a Senior Member to the Admins, everything has just gone out the door.

When i first joined and started posting it was a good place to come to, and try and help other people out.
    Now, i dont even wanna see the name AfterDawn as its gotten so bad.

I mainly posted in the Other Topics and PC Hardware section, compared to the other sections.

Everyone keeps on dissin the IRC Channel, but i dont know why. I started going to the IRC Channel a few mths after i had joined AfterDawn, to see what it was like. I have made some good friends out of it, and that seems to be the only plus i have gotten from AfterDawn.

Including this post, this will be my 547th post, and my last.

I have been asked to be set to Inactive.

So, Bye People, and i hope you guys are happy now.

Regards
    CoZZa

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Sorry it had to come to this, for both of you since I enjoyed your presence and post's. Dela's guides were right on the money and -cozza1987- help was and is the best, as well as -Dela- great help.

All I can is Fair well and Great jouney. But I hope you guy's will some day come back and visit.

4. Dela

Oh ill still be here writing guides, sorting out the FAQ, taking a few vulnerability tests every once in a while :)

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

Well dont this just suck. I hate that it had to come to this but i also understand it, and hell with 10,000 posts i'd probably be sick of it even without the other stuff going on. Well me boy, the place wont be the same without ya.

Cozza - i hope you aren't planning on leaving the channel too! You know how I see it, screw what other people think. I hope you reconsider leaving the forum, but I respect your decision either way.

6. vans12

vans12 Regular member

I am sorry to see you leave. I will missing all of your posts.

7. Dela

Well Darth, ye i was kinda starting to feel it after about 8000 posts lol but its the bad stupid stuff that can force anyone out of anywhere, like the newbies who probvably dont bother posting here after they see some bad threads!

And CoZZa, if u left the channel, id find u and glu u to your computer but remove the ability to leave the channel, id also have a missile pointed at your hours just in case u manage to leave the channel, 5 mins gone and ill bomb you!!!

vans12, thank you :) this IS a great place to be, dont be put off :) come bullshit with us on IRC, always a laugh :)

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Dela, I just found out about a bunch of stuff going on here, I thought it was a joke!

Even tho I mostly hang out in the DVD video sections I am totally flabbergasted!

I am sorry to see ya go, didn't realize recommendations could cause so much trouble. Good luck where ever you end up and in whatever you do.

9. Dela

tnx :) its not really the troubles here, they help in pushing people out of the forum but really its just been too much anyways. lol thgis forum grew too fast! lol ill leave for the sake of my health! :)

10. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I have to agree with you on that one. I've only been here about 4-5 months but I'm posting less every week.
    There are far too many aggressive responses to questions.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of rankings. It implies that a senior member is far more knowledgable than a newbie. In my case it's undeniably true, but in many other cases it's not.
    Being a newbie means new to afterdawn, not new to computing.
    I've seen replies by newbies which were very detailed and perfectly presented, but I've also seen moderators make a complete arse of themselves with replies like WTF is this thread doing in this section.

It is offputting to us newbies, we come here to be helped and to help others. We all have a common interest and this is where we choose to meet to discuss it. If people continue to get flamed and criticised so often then they are going to go elsewhere.

I hope this problem gets resolved and you two have a change of heart.
    We need you!

11. Dela

Very well said! But its not like I havent been warning about this for some time.

Ive already pointed out on several occasions that newbie means new to afterdawn! When i see a thread in the wrong section, if i can answer it, i move and answer it, if i cant i movie it anyway to make sure this new guy to afterdawn gets his answers.

If you have problems with the forum, go to the feedback and suggestions forum instead of just PM'ing the Admins. They get enough PM's as it is.

Unfortunately however, I'd highly doubt I'll have a change of heart, unless of course this forum does a complete 180 all of a sudden, and I think we all know that probably will never happen!
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.BillLonero.com - Check out a true artists music!

aD channel on IRC: irc.addictz.net #ad_buddies
    Newbie IRC Guide- http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47221[/small]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Sorry to see either of you leave. But i know exactly where your coming from, AD has gone very pear shaped. I dont think youll be the last

13. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

I got banned by some fuckwitt, but even though things were set right I'm still very disheartened when I think about the state of this forum. I'll keep my membership but I don't see doing any posting unless things really take a turn for the better. To make matters worse it is really only a select few that are making it this way, but it's enough to keep me out. Until said fuckwitt has moved on, I guess I'll be satisfied to lurk whilst he ruins the forum to an even greater extent and the admins seemingly look the other way. BTW fuckwitt, if your intention in all of this was to ruin this forum, you've won. But really, what have you won?

14. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

crap man..... if you leave... ill leave :|.... since i acheved what i wanted...(being a "member")... even tho im on vacation... if they both leave ill leave... btw i hope no one gonna replace dela... cuz... i dont want to some ass posing as a mod... and specialy i dont want another "fuckwitt"...

15. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

It is sad to see those who appreciate what this forum is all bout leave. In my opinion one should not let those who come here to attack and critizice others get to you, they probably have nothing better to do or have low self-esteem so by critizicing and degrading others they can live with themselves.

Good luck for those leaving and thanks for the help provided. I hope you stay around and share the wealth of knowleged that makes this forum great.

Adonis

16. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

It is a shame that people feel the need to leave, but i totally understand and see there point. Good luck Dela you were the very first person who helped me on these forums, you have been nothing but polite and have helped me no end, as have a few others. and I appreciate all the help. I am now in a position to answer some posts myself but refuse to do so for the adverse comments i received about my punctuation. (i cant punctuate correctly so shoot me)i totally understand why people are leaving and you will not be the last and afterdawn will suffer in the end

So long and good luck

17. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i already spoke my peace in another thread so there is no need to repeat my self , but dela i will take your advice and use the feed back daily till things change , for those of you that think im a newbie here , im not , i have been coming here for a lot longer than i have been posting , so my newbie status isnt relevant , i wonder how many other people are going to leave and find another place that is more comfy as stated in another thread , telling people if they dont like it to leave is no way to help this forum , after all what would after dawn be with no users ? im a admin on a couple of game servers and work on some game forums , do you think if i told people if they didnt like it they could go some where else where they are more comfy that i would have many people playing on the servers ? i think not ! but the way it is now my servers are full all the time , but they wouldnt be if i had a attitude like some on this forum , im sorry to see this forum like this , and im really sorry to see you go dela , this shouldnt be happening and is totally uncalled for , another one of my gripes about this forum is all the useless posts being made by people that should know better , who wants to read 6 pages of crap that shouldnt be there in the first place to finally find the answer they were looking for ? that makes the search function worthless !!!!! i know my self i dont have time to read all the rubbish before i find the answer im looking for , why even post if its not something worth while or something that going to help somebody , good day to all

18. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

OK dammit, no more talk of "If you leave I'm leaving", thats not what this is about, the ones who are leaving have damn good reasons for doing so. Lets not let this snowball into ALL the good aD people leaving. Dont make me come your house for a "visit". trust me, you dont want me camping on your couch for a few days. you'd never get the smell out.

19. Xian

Xian Regular member

Dela and Cozza will be missed, hopefully I will still see both of you on IRC. I wish both of you the best and I am sure your contributions here will be remembered for a long time.

I hate to see it come to this and I hope this isn't the start of an exodus of good posters on the board. I have seen that very thing happen in the past on some usenet game newsgroups I used to follow. Some of the best posters got frustrated with the constant arguments and flame wars and left and after they left there wasn't much reason for the others to stick around. I guess once you get a large user base as here it is almost inevitable there will be disagreements, but it need not descend into some of the petty stuff on I saw on Usenet where people just came there to flame others. I could say that the sun rose this morning and someone else would argue that it was cloudy so I was full of it.

Anyway, best of luck and never say never. Maybe one day if the problems you referred to are cleared up we will see another Dela post.

20. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hey, c'mon everyone.......

I understand where Dela and Cozza are coming from, (and can fully appreciate your individual situations) and yes, things on the forum HAVE gone a little spiralled........but........

Geeeez, where has the human spirit gone??????????

If we all just rolled over when the going gets tough - Where will we be???????????????????

The internet means we can all share knowledge with EVERYONE who requires it - I thought that was what Afterdawn was all about...................

I am not as regular as I used to be (need more fibre I think) due to some pathetic people, but I do still drop in now and again - Not for status, but to see if I can help people and also pick some knowledge up along the way .......

The bonus aswell - I get to see the closed threads and have a good laugh at them.....

This is a forum, and I treat it like one - if I want to answer a thread intelligently or feel I can (attempt) add humour to it, then I will......my choice at the end of the day......and also yours.....
    If people want to come on here and be complete idiots, they can - but won't last long.......

Being a member does not mean you are obliged to answer EVERY thread, or indeed ANY thread (being a moderator will be slightly different).

The reason Afterdawn has grown in size is down to members like Cozza and Dela and quite frankly it pisses me off when spicks make life difficult for others..............and cause some regulars to leave.......

Reconsider chaps, life is too short to let things get you down, afterall it is the internet - you can turn the power switch off at the wall, come back the next day and feel completely different - WE ALL NEED A BREAK NOW AND AGAIN................

And with that, it is time for my break - a relaxing bath with Radox bath beads, followed by a nice warm cup of Horlicks - then to bed - Tomorrow is another day.....................