1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stereo line out to 2 stereo in's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rtrg, Feb 8, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

what I have always like to use in audio as in active speakers or amps is one that uses the outdated left and right volume controls as opposed to the typical balance control. this allows very different overall volume
    from the amp to be compensated for by the separate volume knobs in order to balance volume between both channels/ speakers. I apollogize for the long post.

in order to do this I am going to use 2 small stereo amps driving ONLY one channel of each either left or right then connect them simultaneously to a stereo line or headphone out as the source. of course the connecting cable needs to be a "special" using the appropriate TRS plugs/jacks.

what I have in mind is the following--- ONE TRS plug using two TS cables to end in 2 TS pugs, TIP to TIP and RING to TIP. that will drive the same channel of each amp while still keeping L/R separate among the 2 amps.

another version--- 1 TRS plug to 2 TRS plugs, again TIP to TIP and RING to TIP OR TIP to TIP RING to RING. in this case the second is electrically the same as the first, and the third is electrically similar but uses LEFT for amp 1 and RIGHT for amp 2.

the last possibility is to use a standard commercial TRS to 2 TRS plugs. in all cases only 1 channel would be driven and only 1 speaker for that channel for both would be used. I could use either channel of each amp using one speaker for each amp again either RIGHT or LEFT. this brings me back to where I started, ONE stereo out driving 1 channel of two stereo amps for the sake of seperate volume controls.

I have done this using 2 MONO amps to drive 2 speakers. in this case turning passive speakers into active speakers, similar to computer active speakers. works well.

bottom line is will any of my proposed solutions do what I want? Since both channels are electrically the same but driven simultaneously it seems it does not matter which channel of each amp I use ignoring the other as long as the input and speaker are on the same channel. am I on the correct track here? advice please.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Paul at ps audio. He has a youtube channel & many vids answering questions sent to him.. You can write to him or if your there in the same country give them a call, they will help free of charge.If there's not a vid that answers what you want to do.