1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still having problems with no sound

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by RonnaP, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

I have read SEVERAL posts about no sound and I have read the guide to use in converting AVI's, but I'm still having a problem. I load the AVI in GSPOT and it tells me the audio is MP3. Ok, so mp3 is suppose to be decoded with TMPGEnc, but when I convert the video there is no sound!!! What am I doing wrong????????

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It seems a wrong plugin order.
    Try to do Option__Environmental Settings___VFAPI Plug-in and right-click the plugin called 'Directshow Multimedia File Reader' and select on the righ-click menu 'higher priority' till Directshow 'Multimedia File Reader' has the highest priority (i.e. it appears on the top of that list).
    If needed, immediatly after it, put the AVI2 (OpenDML) File Reader.
    Tell me about the results...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If the mp3 is VBR, tmpgenc will choke on it.
    Do audio separately with virtualdub to .wav first, then encode.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes. As I posted on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 , make a small check, first. If, when you open the movie with VirtualDub, VirtualDub gives you a warning, uncompress the full stream to WAV (yes, VirtualDub can do it) and re-encode it (loading that WAV as 'audio input' with TMPGenc.
    You don't need to do so only if no warnings come out. You'll spend few seconds to do this check, and few minutes to correct this 'compression to MP3 bug', so you just need to know its existence...

5. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Thanks you guys ! :)
    To aldaco12 - The Directshow is in the highest priority - I think what rebootjim says about it being VBR is the problem. If I uncompress the audio in VirtualDub can i just load the .wav file in TMPGEnc or do I need to run the .wav file through BeSweet first?

Thanks so much everyone I really appreciate it ;)

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You can try loading the .wav as the audio source for encoding, but you may run into sync problems.
    Try it first.
    If you DO get sync problems, then transcode that .wav to mp2 or AC3 in ffmpeggui, and import it into your authoring program, don't re-encode it again in tmpgenc.

7. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

So I should use ffmpeggui - not BeSweet?? Also, I thought I read somewhere that most DVD Players can't play AC3, I don't know maybe I'm thinking of something else, I've read soooooooooo much, if I don't slow down I'm gonna get real confused - LOL.

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You've been misled. AC3 is DVD spec.
    Use Besweet if you must. Ffmpeggui is much easier, and doesn't confuse you with that stupid audio FPS crap. (Audio does NOT have an FPS!!!)

9. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Ok, I will download and try Ffmpeggui, hope I can use it, I read the instructions on BeSweet but not Ffmpeggui. If its easier I'm all for that :)
    Thanks soooooooo much

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Don't worry at all. To fix the 'A/V sync problem' you should just need to decompress the sound to uncompressed WAV and to load it as 'audio input' in TMPGenc. But it will happen onlly if VirtualDub gives you warning avter opening it.
    The VBR stuff (VBR in MP3 encoding) will 'only' give a un-sync audio in the output mpeg, it won't cause the 'audio input' line of TMPGenc to remain empty (and it's output to be 'mute'). TMPGenc can load any type of MP3 (AVI audio).
    But, alas, if the sound was already AC3 or other compressed stuff, VirtualDub will save a 'fake WAV' , a WAV only i the extension. It will NOT be large 10.1 MB x minute, but it will be smaller (for an average movie I have an audio 200 MB [.AC3] and 1,2 GB [.WAV] large!).
    To understand which kind of audio do you have in your movie, use VirtualDubMod. Do Stream__Stream list and wast che audio srem type.
    If itsn't MP3 (and it shouldn't be so, since the TMPGenc 'audio input' line remains blank and the plugin priority is well placed), you migh neeed to decompress it with (the easiest) HeadAC3he, because VirtualDub(Mod) cannot decompress that stuff.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  11. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Ok aldaco12 your talking greek to me - LOL. I think I have it figured out, I load the AVI in GSPOT and if its AC3 or OGG or MP3 with VBR then I need to change the audio TMPGEnc will choke on it. So I decompress it with VirtualDub and then run it thru BeSliced then ffmpeggui then I can run it thru TMPGEnc with the video, right? (I think-I hope) I've done 1 and it turned out ok :)

12. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

OK, another question, when I decompress the audio in VirtualDub the .wav file that is output is not that big, should it be?? Am I doing something else wrong? It doesn't take VirtualDub that long to decompress and the resulting file is not huge. Even after I run it thru ffmpeggui its not huge, and it also doesnt take very long to encode. (when I say not long - I mean compared to running the video thru TMPGEnc) sorry if I am being a pain.

13. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Virtualdub should take less than 2 minutes to make the .wav, and size is irrelevant. Play it, if it's the full audio, then it's fine.
    So as not to further confuse the issue, here are two ways to get what you want.

1)Take the .wav and transcode to AC3 directly in Ffmpeggui, at 48khz, 224kbps. Use that AC3 in your authoring application as the audio source. Do not Beslice or besweet or otherwise screw with it.
    You do NOT need to encode it, or anything else in tmpgenc or any other encoder.

2)Take the .wav and use that as the audio source in tmpgenc when you encode the movie.

As most good authoring apps prefer elementary streams, and AC3 is DVD spec, method 1 is preferred.

14. RonnaP

RonnaP Member

Thank you sooooo much rebootjim - your a sweetheart ! I think I got it now :)

15. fessp

fessp Member

I have tried everything!!!! I have changed the directshow to a 2. I have read the audio and video codecs from the avi file and I have the correct codecs on my computer. I have done all I know to do.
    I have 2 computers and one I have no problem converting avi - mpeg
    but the newer computer it freezes up for about 15 seconds before it starts converting. Even after it is finished it will not have any sound.
    I have played it on several different media players. I have downloaded several codec combos. I can take one avi file and convert it to mpg on 1 computer, but the save avi on the other computer it has no sound.
    I have ripped the audio to wav and tried to convert to mpeg and still no sound.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO???? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE KNEW!!!
    Please help me!!!!!

16. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

are you saying that the same movie has its sound on one PC and you cannot hear any sound if you play (without changing anything else) it in the 2nd?

17. fessp

fessp Member

No. If I convert it on the older computer it will have sound and if I convert it on the newer computer it will not have sound.
    Both computers have Windows XP
    The older computer is about 2 1/2 years and
    the other is about 2 weeks old

I have even copied all of the settings for TMPgenc from the older computer and used them on the newer one.

Still no progress