1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

still wont fit.... why?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by alseides, Feb 9, 2005.

1. alseides

alseides Guest

Well I have a movie that is 1hr54minutes and after ripping it with decrypter, i opened it with shrink.

from there i reauthored the disc with ONLY the main movie. Selected the main audio stream which was about 380mb. with 4mb of eng subs.

the movie is still some 6.2gb. Why is it so large? I;ve done the same thing with other movies of the same length and it fits just fine.

I am a video quality freak so trying to avoid compression, but i just have no clue as to why the movie is this big.

any help at all, thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  2. alseides

alseides Guest

hey hey someone say something!

3. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

i have never had this problem but maybe you could split the movie, and use two disks so that you do not lose any quality?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Unless you are working with a 60" plasma TV I would suggest using either DVD Shrink with Maximum Sharpness and Deep Analysis. as long as you're using decent quality media (being a quality freak I know you're using TY's, Verbatim DataLife PLUS OR Advanced Metal AZO discs) you would be extremely hard pressed to be able to see any difference between the original and your backup.
    Having said that, I am assuming that you are using the latest version of DVD Shrink 3.2.15.

Other options would be Recode2 (in the re-author mode So that you'd have a complete working menu) and slow encoding Plus analysis.
    DVD2One (a top-of-the-line encoder)
    OR,
    DVDCopy3 (by InterVideo)

All of these would be excellent.

As has already been suggested, split the DVD between 2 discs (though as I said, at this point in time, with the new programs being as good as they are - compression cannot be detected as it could even just 6 short months ago.

Cheers,

Pete

It seems I'm getting a bit forgetful. The guides for Recode2 and Shrink are in my sig ~

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  5. alseides

alseides Guest

well actually i am watching my dvds on a 57in high definition sony tv. Compared to a plasma my set is actually better, because plasmas offer the luxory of flatness but lack somewhat in sharpness :)

shrinking a 6gig movie to fit results in terrible quality. terrible. on ANY tv. and when you own the dvd its just not worth it. id rather split it on 2 discs, but then again i have the original why bother.

i just didnt realize a 1:54 hr movie was this big. i copied mothman prophecies on a single layer no problem, so that is kinda strange. at first i thought something was wrong or there was something i didnt notice on the disc that was eating up space.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

So that we could know what movie is giving you such a headache for our future knowledge, could you tell us what the title is? I've never run into this either.

Thanks

7. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I pulled my mothman out and it was a DVD-9 - meaning it was compressed and not a 1:1 copy and was done with DVD Shrink and DVDD.

Though AnyDVD is currently the top dog in encryption breaking, able to handle 100% of all the copyrights out there CloneDVD2 while sporting some very friendly popcorn-eating Sheep it isn't close to being anything more than average in the encoding field. It does has a scale that tells you how poor the copy will be - anything over 85% shows up in the bottom yellow / red field (bad :(

A much better proggy would be DVD2One OR intervideo's DVDCopy3 which does have quite a good encoder.

Using DVD Shrink with all it's "Bells" or recode2 will do a better job, a lot cheaper.

My 2-cents,

Pete

9. alseides

alseides Guest

strange. my mothman prophecies is single layered for sure. plus the image i have of that movie was ripped with decrypter... which can't compress by itself.

and ScubaBud if you look at my first post itll show all the details of the movies im dealing with.

edit
    oops scubabud i thought this was my other post, cuz i put all the details there. check it out here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/160160

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi alseides,

I looked at your other thread and your question was handled very nicely indeed. Not all DVD's are exactly the same. Time (length of the movie) doesn't equal size. If that were so then a B&W DVD like The Creature from the Black Lagoon would be the same size at the Matrix. Silly isn't it. One has special effects up the wazoo and is in color while the other is so small that we could put it on a single sided disc 3X over, even though both of them are the same length.

Not too worry, with education comes understanding. That's why they have school in the first place, not everything can be put into the same size box.
    To provide you with a correlation, just because something weighs the same doesn't mean it is the same size. Volume doesn't equal weight. What's even worse, a quart of milk isn't the same as a quart of fresh strawberries. So a quart doesn't even equal a quart. Now if something is hard to understand AND IMO, that sucks big time. I think someone just made that up to mess with our minds.

To keep it simple for you (and for me too) - worry about the size of a DVD and that's it. Forget how long it runs (that's just advertising mumbo-jumbo), I put 5 even 6 hours of DVD's on a single-sided disc - all VOB format stuff, it's the size of the files we need to be concerned about. Keep that in mind and you'll be a little less confused.

Cheers My Friend,

"P"

BTW, Let's get rid of that PK-Design link. That's called advertising and it isn't permitted on aD UNLESS you have a contract with aD.

11. alseides

alseides Guest

ok, sounds good to me. at first i just thought maybe there was something i didnt know about - something that was making the movie uneccessarily large. And that maybe I could change it. Guess thats just the way it is. Well, thanks again.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

alseides,

You forgot to "lose" that advertising link -

If you don't wish to take friendly advise, it won't be long before a Mod will threaten you with banning - advertising is not minor, it's a Big time, major rules violation.

It just seems to me that if you don't like it here, you don't have to come - once you're banned - you won't ever have a choice of coming back -

Of course, the choice is up to you . . .

Caio ~

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  13. hursty

hursty Active member

i had this same discussion not so long back,i thought also that size equals time,hence 120minutes dvd?i found that this selling technique is total and utter rubbish,like pete said,it all depends on what is contain on the frame,what detailing,the quality.
    without getting too deep,i think i am correct in saying that when a dvd is made,on each frame it looks for "repeats",it will look for the same pixel,call it what you will,i dont know the exact term.so the more detail involed in that particular frame(i.e less repeats)the bigger the size will become
    a "60 min" film of a black screen will obviously be smaller in size than a "60 min" episode of the simpsons

thats my reckoning anyway,i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong

hehe

with kind regards hursty