1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock Xbox Fails boot, red/green flash

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by mike8519, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mike8519

mike8519 Member

I saw someone else with this problem in the Xbox Flashing Red LED topic, but didn't get a response. I have a completely stock xbox, never opened, and it gives me this error. Any idea what the cause could be or anything I could try? I opened it up and cleaned it out yesterday just to make sure the fans were't blocked or anything and it was pretty clean, so i doubt overheating.

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

What error message are you getting?? Do you have an error number?

3. mike8519

mike8519 Member

no video. 3 failed boots (with a beep just before shutdown) then a flashing red/orange light behind the eject button.

4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Try looking on http://www.llamma.com Look in their Xbox tutorial sections and you might be able to find a solution to your problem.

5. mike8519

mike8519 Member

I visited his site before and looked at the problem, but I still am not sure how a stock xbox fails like this.

from llama's site:
    Tries To Boot Three Times and then starts flashing red and green. Also Known as "Christmas Lights" In my experience this is due to a failed mod chip and broken traces. I have also seen it on two stock Xboxes doing the same thing.

6. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

the error you're having is more commonly caled "fragging"
    it can be for numerous reasons, the most common for an unmodded xbox are
    bad ide cable
    bad hard drive
    bad cd rom drive

there are other considerations, such as the eeprom, video encoder etc
    sometimes the frag can be fixed by hardware replacements or simply by adding a modchip