1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange behavior by my DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TonyNYC, Sep 1, 2011.

1. TonyNYC

TonyNYC Member

I am a newbie in the realm of DVD player. I have recently been given an old Sony DVD player. I have a CD and a DVD that both have movies with “KMP MPEG video file” format which the DVD player have no problem playing the videos. However I have some videos on my laptop with “.avi” file type that I burned into a CD and tried to watch it on my DVD player, and while the DVD player is trying to read the TOC on the CD, it prompts me a message on the console saying “Cannot read the format”. I tired the following:
    1-Burned the videos onto a DVD and the problem persists.
    2-Converted the videos into MPEGI format and then burned them onto a CD and the problem persists.
    3-Converted the videos into WMV format and then burned them onto a CD and the problem persists.
    4-Repeated step 2 and 3 and burned the videos onto a DVD and the problem persists.
    I burned these videos with 10X speed. I also notice the DVD and the CD that I mentioned works with the DVD player contain some directory structure where there are videos and some instruction files but the ones that I burned using the burner on my laptop doesn’t generate any instruction files and only the video files.
    Interestingly, the CDs and the DVDs that I burned in steps 1 through 4, they work fine with other DVD players such as Samsung and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very frustrated at this time with this DVD player.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. attar

attar Senior member

A DVD movie contains .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files in a VIDEO_TS folder.
    The AVI has to be converted to mpeg2 format and authored into that structure using the likes of DVD Flick, AvsToDVD or similar.

The reason the AVI file does not play on the standalone may be that the standalone is not DivX certified (usually a sticker on the machine tells you).

3. TonyNYC

TonyNYC Member

Thanks for your response. So when I burn those movies into a DVD how come, the burner doesn't create those files you mentioned (.VOB, .IFO and so on)? both the DVD and the CD that are working have their content authored into the that structure you mentioned. Do I need to do something for this to happen? I thought the Burner will take care of these details.

Thanks.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The authoring program creates the folder with the files within.
    The likes of DVD Flick (freeware) will convert the avi file to DVD format and optionally burn the folder/files to the disk using it's included burner software.

5. TonyNYC

TonyNYC Member

The converter that I use, doesn't create the folder with the files within. Let say, if I have a movie called GoldenTreat.avi, it converts to xyz format and only creates a file called GoldenTreat.xyz which subsequently, I burn onto a CD/DVD.
    What puzzles me here is that the same GoldenTreat.xyz without the foler structure that doesn't work in my DVD player works fine in Samsung DVD player and on other people's laptop. I have tried it. It seems that my Sony DVD player is only capable of playing "KMP MPEG movie file" type or any type with the folder structure that you mentioned earlier.

Do you know of any converter that can convert from .avi to "KMP MPEG"? I don't even know what KMP stands for.

Thanks