1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange dvd reading problem

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jtwn, May 15, 2004.

1. jtwn

jtwn Member

Im having problems reading data dvd discs, for instance if i want to copy a file from them the file will say it will take 195 minutes to copy, though it doesnt do anything. Opening the files takes forever..if it does, it only has once since i got this problem. I get crc errors sometimes aswell video files on the discs not being able to be played at certain positions.

What i cant understand is that if i mount a disc image which is on one of my discs on a virtual drive and install that, it will run fine and copy at the right speed.

The only recent change i can remember with my hardware was putting in a radeon 9800 pro but im sure that was after i started getting these problems.

Ive tried changing it from slave to master, updating the firmware and changing the ide cable to no avail.

Normal data cds, audio cds, cd-rs and dvd films work, its just my dvd+rs, which did used to work perfectly.

The dvd+rs are ritek ones and the drive is a nec nd1000a.

Any help? Is my drive buggered?

Thanks

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi jtwn, I did a little research on your drive. For the most part it is a good drive but can be picky about blank media. The Riteks should burn OK. Check and make sure you have the latest firmware update. Seems it doesn't like cheap media so keep using the better blanks. CRC errors are usually from reading bad, damaged, or corrupt data.(damaged discs).

Jerry

3. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

Two things to check...

Make sure that the drive sits on a IDE channel with DMA enabled.

Also, some DLA & Packet Writing software interferes with normal operation of DVD burners.

4. jtwn

jtwn Member

Thanks for your replies, ive recently burned some discs which worked fine so you are right jerry, though still some of my older ones dont work.

How would you enable dma on xp pro? There is no option in the device manger...thanks

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Go to control panel--system--hardware--device manager--IDE/ATA controllers. Then on both Primary and secondary channels under advanced settings, pick transfer mode--DMA if available.

Jerry