1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange pause every 3 seconds on my DVDs...?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Amir89, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

I've just noticed this recently, and it never used to happen before on AVIs I burnt to DVD..

Around every 2 (maybe 3) seconds, the video will pause momentarily (probably for a split-second), like it's about to hang-up/freeze or something, but it doesn't. Every video plays perfectly except for these momentary pauses every 2/3 seconds. May not seem like much, but to a trained observer it can really piss you off, it's like a slight stuttering//jittering and it can just ruin fast-paced scenes in some films...

I have no idea why this is happening as I've been using DVDFlick for months now, the same old media, haven't changed/fiddled with my codecs, etc... No major hardware changes of any kind, yet AVIs I've converted maybe a few months prior don't have this problem??

Does anyone have any clue what's causing this?
    Thanks in Advance..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

This sounds like something that happens when a frame rate conversion
    occurred. Did you convert a 25 fps (as in PAL frame rate) to
    either 23.976 or 29.97 ? Or the other way round?

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I had that happening once, exactly the same symptoms, using DVD Flick. The cause that I had identified in my case ,was multi-tasking. Re-did same movie, same settings, turned off the background programs and in my case the problem was gone. I do have an ancient machine though, so it might not be your case...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i asume that the files are downloaded right?do you get the pause before the file is converted?

5. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Hmmm, well I convert all my videos to PAL (usually from NTSC), but I don't think it should matter my DVD Players can play both formats..

As for background process I don't leave anything else running in the foreground apart and I usually have about 40 processes running at any given time.

And no, I don't get any pause if I play them on my computer.

6. lackyno

lackyno Regular member

I know this is digging up an old thread...but I have the same problem. Did you eventually find out the reason why and how you got rid of the pauses?