1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem with Roxio EMC - Basic DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Crazy12, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Crazy12

Crazy12 Member

I bought a DVD-RW drive, mainly to put home movies and TV shows onto disk. Nero StartSmart came with the drive, but won't do DVD video, it's crippled so you have to buy the better version. I bought the Roxio Easy Media Creator - Basic DVD and installed it, but I get a strange problem. When I click on the icon, (link is "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\BasicDVD HomePage\BasicDVDHomePageApp.exe") the main menu will pop up for about a second, then disappear. I can get a few submenus from the All Programs listing to come up, like the Classic Creator and a few others, but the DVD Builder and the main program won't stay up.
    Could this be a compatibility problem with the Nero program? Or is it another one of those crippled programs that won't let you play with the full feature of a DVD writer?
    Perhaps someone can suggest a better program to use for mainly taking my videos that are on the harddrive in mpeg format and making DVDs that will play in a standard DVD player/TV.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The DVD burner you bought came with an OEM version of Nero -- Looks like that maker didnt want to pay the rights to Nero and gave you a shortened version.

You could have upgraded that version on Nero web site and it would have brought you Nero 6 Ultra -- a complete suite of applications well worth the price.

Roxio Easy Media Creator is known to be troublesome -- at least from what we read from people coming to the forum --- [bold] FEW people use it [/bold] !

Did you try their support ?

3. Crazy12

Crazy12 Member

Thanks, Jean.
    When I went to the Nero site, they wanted me to pay for the full version, so I tried to go cheap and got the Roxio on ebay. I've seldom been so tempted to use profane language as when I started trying to make DVDs from my home movies. ;) Roxio won't let you access any tech help without an id number. They say that if you got a bundled product (which this appears to be) then go back to the reseller for tech help. (i.e. if you ain't gonna give us the big bucks, take a long walk down a short pier.)

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You can download Nero 6 Ultra for a 30 day trial. Its the full working version. Try it out, see if you like it enough to purchase it. I think you will. Roxio is a waste of money. I have several versions up to I think 6 Platinum. I never use them, don't even have them installed anymore.

Jerry

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You must have looked at the wrong place on Nero website -- this link here :- http://www.nero.com/us/nero6_upgrade.html

says if you own an OEM version of Nero 6 -- you entitled to a discount ! You dont pay the full price -- of course they will ask for your serial number.

PS. Jerry confirms what I thought and seen in here -- I , personnaly never used Roxio , so I cannot eleborate on the subject ! Grinssssss !!

If you do get Nero --- make sure you remove Roxio using the utility they provided here -- It's called RoxioZAP --- BEFORE you install Nero.

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi crazy12, welcome to aD,

Roxio has been more than troublesome, it's been a downright curse, causing havoc with almost every other proggy used to rip or render DVD's. As Jeanc1 has already said, Nero would be the way to go. Using Nero's NeroVision once you have a "Capture Card" or the proper hardware to go from RCA jacks to USB, when you download your movie files, NeroVision will take it directly to DVD.

My PC came with Roxio 5 and I paid for the update to Roxio 6 before I found how much trouble it caused. If you absoutly have to have it, you need to do a total uninstall of Roxio using a Roxio Zapper. Roxio's tendrils weave all over your PC and something like the "Zapper" is needed to get it all out. After the uninstall - you can load it up MINUS it's "Click and Drag" feature, and keep Roxio turned off in msconfig, otherwise most all other proggys won't work. Then, you can load up Nero. If you use Roxio, you have to reboot your system prior to using Nero. Quite a mess, huh?

Anyway, here is the "Zapper" -

To remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils attack it with the Roxio Zapper –

Find it here:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system [b:)[/b]

Best of luck,

Pete

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Crazy12
    I'll be another who will attest to personal problems with Roxio. I used it for a long time for listening to audio and burning audio CDs, still do. When I started recording DVD video I started to run into problems. One of the first things tech assistance told me was that certain programs, with packet writing software included, interfere with DVD recording. In the full Nero suite you have InCD which has to be totally removed using the Add Remove option in the Windows Control (with new install, just don't add it). With Roxio they told me there were varying options. One, install the app without Drag to Disc. In that case delete, use Roxio Zap, and reinstall without Drag to Disc if it's already there. Another option with Drag to Disc is just exiting that part of the Roxio program (close it off the taskbar). Since Drag to Disk doesn't run in the background like InCD, it can be just turned off in some cases. You just have to check to see what works for you. More troublesome but effective is the method of using msconfig to shut down Roxio and Drag to Disc. Try the easiest first and work your way to the solution if you want to retain Roxio.

I was one of the lucky Roxio users (I still like it for audio files, but Nero for a video suite). All I have to do is exit the Drag to Disk program and I can record DVD. If you don't need the Drag to Disc portion, you might want to delete it; that way you won't forget and leave it on and start making coasters. I hope you are as lucky as I was and the solution is a simple exit.

Also, remember, there are a lot of recording suites that have packet writing software (some you can turn off and some you can't), so any time you run into DVD recording problems and you have packet software, those parts of the app are suspect.

8. Crazy12

Crazy12 Member

Thanks for the assist. I booted the Roxio out, then I went to try the Ultra trial. But I'm still having the problem with trying to do DVD video. Does this trial version come with NeroVision Express or the SE version that seems to be lacking something? It still pops up as the SE version, and when I try the option make a Video CD, it only gives me the CD-R option. When I try to click on the other formats, I get this big pop-up that says "DVD Plug-in Required" and then takes me to a link to get it for $25. I did uninstall my old Nero OEM version and went with the trial download, but it still does this.
    All I want to do right now is to take an mpeg video file of about 3 gigs and drop it onto a disk that should play in most TV DVD players. Am I choosing the wrong option, or is the whole process much more complicated than that?

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You didnt remove your OEM version completely ~~ smiles
    The trial version is COMPLETE ! but you must first clean your PC of the Nero OEM.. to do this go to:-

http://www.nero.com/us/Clean_Tools.html

get General Clean Tool and Registry Checker and DriverClean Tool
    to clean up your PC of all trace of NERO.-- then installed the TRIAL version.

There are no restrictions on the TRIAL. -- if you ever decide to upgrade your OEM version -- all you need is your serial number that was given to you. Then the WMA pluging is FREE and is downloadable with another serial number.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

Make sure your old serial number isn't showing up in the trial from the registry. There should be no serial numbers in the trial. Click the "Nero" in the upper startsmart console and it opens to the program list and serial # entries.

Loading over the OEM only supplies the OEM update; you need to remove the serial and OEM and do a clean installation.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004