1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem with TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by gcc1138, Dec 30, 2003.

1. gcc1138

gcc1138 Member

Hey all, I'm kind of a newb with this video stuff, but any help you could give me would be totally awesome.

I'm trying to convert an xvid movie to mpeg 2 using TMPGenc. I'm pretty sure I set everything up corectly, I followed the guide on the site to the t, but when I get to the end, it says that the movie is 300 minutes long, and theres no way it could encode it small enough to fit on a DVD, even at the minimum bit rate.

Now, I know thats not true, the movie is Equilibrium (which you all should check out if you havent seen it, best action movie in a really long time) and is only 145 minutes long. Is it possible that the calculator is just wrong?

I'm currently letting it encode just see how big it actually gets, because I know that the movie is no where near that long. Anyways if anyone has ever encountered this before, help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is a Common Problem with Tmpgenc..It will sometimes add a couple of hours of Blank Video at the end of the Mpeg file ,You can just simply Cut the extra Black video off the end of the File useing Tmpgenc"s "Merge & Cut" ..(Go to "File" to "Mpeg Tools" to "Merge & Cut" and here you can edit your File) You can also Prevent this in most cases by going to "options" to "Enviromental settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raise the priority of the
    "Direct show File Reader" to "2"...And when Makeing a DVD compliant Mpeg2 file with Tmpgenc you should select "Mpeg1 Layer 2" audio as the audio format and NOT the Default format of LPCM Because LPCM takes up a Extremely large amount of DVD disk space that would be better used on Increasing the Video Bitrate and Quality...I actually use an external Dolby digital Encoder to make my DVD compliant DVD audio because Dolby digital is the best audio format for DVD....Cheers