1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream Movies to XBMC Guide

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by jonbtrini, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Okay, this guide I am writing is because I have seen a great many people having difficulties trying to view movies/videos/music/pictures without first putting them on your Xbox harddrive. Hopefully you will find this method helpful, and also conserve a ton of harddrive space!

First off, i'm not really sure if this is considered "streaming" but I know that with this method, you will be able to view/listen to any video or audio or picture file on your computer.

1- The first step is to create 3 folders on your computer, in the "My Documents" folder called Videos, Music, and Photos. I just named these after the menu titles in XBMC, but you may wish to name them something different.

2- Drag any movie, video, music, etc. files you want to be able to see in Media Center to the corresponding folder under My Documents.

3- When finished, RIGHT CLICK on the first folder (My Videos for example) and select Properties. Then select the "Sharing" tab. Check mark the second box, which allows you to share this folder with others on the Network. Then give it a name. I just used the same name as the folder currently had.

4- Now you're pretty much done. Go ahead and reboot your Xbox and go into Xbox Media Center. Now, if you want to watch a movie file that is on your computer, go into My Videos. From there you will see all the available drives/shares, etc. on your xbox. Select Workgroups (Network Share) and then click through the next two folders, which will just be the name of your PC.

5- Finally you should see your 3 folders, (and maybe a few others, but we're not concerned with those) Videos, Music and Photos. Select Videos and from there you should see all the files on your PC that you placed under that folder!

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.