1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streambox help

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by wizard673, Jul 29, 2002.

1. wizard673

wizard673 Member

When im downloading a stream, is it normal for it to stop and resume over and over again? The speed im getting is good but it takes forever when it has to keep restarting the download. Thanks

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

It's not normal, but the internet isn't perfect and your connectivity to the particular site may have problems. Can you ping the site when the download terminates? Also, if you setup the connections settings in streambox this may happen. Don't set it to T1 when you only have a 56kbps connection, etc. This could cause a large packet loss and the retransmission will eventually reset the session.

3. wizard673

wizard673 Member

Im running Comcast Cable internet. The download doesnt completely break and it doesnt have to make a 2nd or 3rd attemt. It just gets a little bit and then stops. The speed is real good while its downloading but it downloads for about 5 sec and then stops, a bout 15 seconds or so it starts up again and goes real fast for about 5 10 sec and does this over and over. It took 2 hours to download a 270meg movie. I do hav it set for T1 but it does the same for whatever setting I use. Thanks for the time and I appricate the response..

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like TCP is backing off/retransmitting, probably due to packet loss somewhere. If you're connecting via UDP, then this is not the case tho.

You can try lowering the connection settings in streambox and see if that helps.

Also, 'netstat -s' in the DOS window will show you the per-network-protocol statistics (bytes/frames in/out, error count, etc). Do this before and after using streambox. It should give you some indication on what's happening with your connections. If it looks like jibberish to you, then post the result back here again.

5. aka

aka Member

When I'm downloading a stream from mms website, whenever the connection stop, when it starts again, it doesn't resume.. it just start to download the file all over again. Can you tell me how to fix it? thanks