1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripping just the movie to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kellogfan, Oct 11, 2002.

1. kellogfan

kellogfan Member

I am trying to make a backup copy of "NOT ANOTHER..." which is on a dual layered DVD-9 disc and is approximately 7.8GB in size. I have been able to RIP the DVD and view what I need (VTS_13_0 thru VTS_13_2) I have used Smartripper and used the MOVIE rip method as it automatically chooses ONLY the movie from the DVD. Now that I have only the movie ripped, I am trying to have it burn to DVD so that only the movie is on the disc (which brings it down to about 3.5GB in size). I am now running IFOedit, opening the IFO file (VTS_13_0.IFO) and then choosing "VOB EXTRAS" button then check the "create new vob and ifo" files. Here's where I need the advice of an expert. Am I heading in the right direction or am I not fully understanding what is going on here? I have read and read but I could read for months before I get a straight answer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2002
  2. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

I am not an expert but maybe I can be of assistance.
    If indeed you have all the files you need and the total is only 2.3G then all you need to do is bring up your VIDEO_TS.IFO file in Ifoedit and click region free, then save, reopen, click remove pup's, then save, reopen, click GET VTS SECTORS this overwrites all IFO files in directory. Now, assuming you have all files that you need you are ready to burn.

3. kellogfan

kellogfan Member

following my previous thread, what I did was when it created new VOB and IFO I copied the VTS_13_x...all of them to the new directory with the newly created VOB/IFO. I then renamed the VTS_13_x to VTS_01_x with all of these. I'll try what you've said. Do I need to rename the VTS_13...files to anything else and if I do, where in the IFO file do I make changes?

4. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

You don't need to rename vts_13_*.vob. You also won't need to check"create new VIDEO and VTS IFO" You need to rip VIDEO_TS_IFO, VIDEO_TS_VOB, and VIDEO_TS_BUP from the DVD. In addition, you'll need your movie files vts_13_0.IFO & .BUP, vts_13_0.VOB, vts_13_1.VOB etc... Now, if all of these files are less than 4.37G follow previous message. Create a new empty folder and select that as your destination directory in Ifoedit. This way you can open it after each step and copy any missing files from the previous folder. See, in certain actions you perform with Ifoedit, it will create new .VOBs. So after you open your newest folder you will be able to determine what files you need to put in the folder in order to have a complete "package".

5. kellogfan

kellogfan Member

First off, thanks for your help. I'm still learning...I just learned that there is a difference between the DVD-R and the DVD+R. I'm assuming similarities between the CD-R and DVD-R which is wrong. Is there a difference in recording to a DVD+R and a DVD+RW besides the obvious (Rewritable)? Meaning, will the standalone DVD player recognize a DVD+RW the same as a DVD+R?(If it does, why buy DVD+R when you can REWRITE a DVD+RW when you're done with it?) I am able to get the "intro" screen(the lady with the torch) to play with the DVD+RW but then it stops or hangs. What could I be doing incorrectly? How do I get it to jump to the movie after the intro screen?
    mail to: wilros@mgc-mbc.com
    NOTE: I tried what you said but when I put the DVD+RW into the DVD player(home unit) the intro plays and then it hangs. I must be missing a step or something.
    The following is a listing of what is burned on the DVD+RW disc:
    (inside the VIDEO_TS directory)

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_13_0.BUP
    VTS_13_0.IFO
    VTS_13_0.VOB
    VTS_13_1.VOB
    VTS_13_2.VOB
    VTS_13_3.VOB
    VTS_13_4.VOB

When I load the DVD into the Sony DRU120A the player opens but then I get an error message "Unsupported format"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2002
  6. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

I am not familiar with DVD+. My burner(Pioneer DVR 104) supports +R +RW media.

I have one RW "Guineau Pig" disc, if you will. I use it to test burn and play in my stand alone (Toshiba SD 5700). Then I purchase DVD-R discs for the final copy because once I make a backup why would I erase it? Or more importantly so my wife CAN'T erase it.

I don't know if + media will play in a stand alone player. Maybe someone with a DVD+RW burner could help you.

The reason for the hang up you described could be the First Play PGC command. If you load up VIDEO_TS.IFO in Ifoedit. Click on VMGM_MAT. This opens a sub directory-First Play PGC. Scroll all the way down to PGC Command Table. Right click and choose edit command. Now you can jump to any chapter or title you want. For instance, assuming that the chapter menu is in vts_13_0.VOB (JumpSS VTSM) Jump to Titleset(vts):13, Title(ttn):0. root menu.

Don't sweat the help.

7. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

kellogfan

ALL DVD's must have a VTS_01 file, so your VTS_13 file set is not valid.

If you use Smartripper, when saving "movie only" you are able to "re name" the files from whatever they are to vts_01

Saves a lot of time and hassel.

HomerJ