1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in PIO hell

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hogan, Sep 16, 2004.

1. hogan

hogan Regular member

Our electricity went out for about two minutes. When I rebooted my systen my DVD rom drive is in PIO mode. I have DMA enabled in bios, and I went to device manager and tried to force it to DMA with no luck. I have removed and reinstalled the device but still in PIO mode. It won't play DVDs this way and it now takes three hours to back up a movie. How can I get it back to DMA mode. Thanks in advance for the great advice I always get here.

I went looking around with Nero's info tool and it said " slave:IDE DVD ROM 16X DMA OFF" How can I turn DMA back on. Again, Thanks

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Instead of uninstalling the device, uninstall the IDE Controller that it is on - Primary or Secondary.

In device manager, you will see IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, click on that and you should see Primary/Secondary.
    Select the channel your dvdrom is on and uninstall, reboot and see if that helps....................

3. hogan

hogan Regular member

bless you baabaa. Worked like a charm.Up and running fine once again.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You may also experience this when windows experiences some read issues with some dvd's.
    Instead of DMA, which is alot quicker, it adjusts itself down to PIO which is slower in order to obtain a correct read of a possibly corrupted disc.

If this happens, windows will not revert to the original DMA configuration, and you will have to use either - uninstall the drive or install the controller to obtain the DMA again.....

But in your case the blackout seemed to have caused your problem......and not the disc......

Anyway, nice to hear you are back in the DMA and glad I could help......

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In my humble opinion baabaa should be knighted by the Queen. England could use a fresh example of dashing good looks, valor and wisdom!

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMFAO.....and not forget the golden fleece.

What do you think:

Sir Baabaa

Or

Sir Sheep

Post your votes now

For the record (give credit to where credits due), Nephilim has my vote for moderator of the month...........

7. Nephilim

Sir Baabaa rolls of the tongue much better. Maybe "Sir Baabaa and the Knights of the Sheep's Arsehole"! You know I do like the sound of Sir Nephilim, can I be a knight too?

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sir Nephilim does sound Royal.

I shall have a chat with my homey (The Queen), and see if we can push it through. As she is a 'pinhead' fan also................

See you at the Jubilee, just don't forget the beer, I'll try and get some servants booked for us - After all WE DESERVE THEM...........................LOL

9. drchips

drchips Active member

10. Nephilim

I changed my mind. I want to be an honorary Dame.

11. hogan

hogan Regular member

baabaa,
    It may have been a disc that caused my problem. I was in the middle of backing up a movie when the electricity went off ( thanks to Ivan). Either way, I will file away the advice for future use and to spread around when I can.
    Again many thanks

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sorry Nephilim, drchips is right, however I do now have Royal priviliges.

Dames have to wear thongs and a tight corset, do you have them or do wish to borrow some, I do have some spare...........

Behold and the truth shall be set free..............

Thats more like it, I was actually wondering how it would revert to PIO just by a blackout.........I think this actually aquits 'Ivan' and the guilty party has now been reprimanded...........

Sir baabaa proclaims, the criminal disc is to held in the stocks in the peasants square for a period of seven days.
    Here it shall be humiliated, it's titles are to be stripped and then off to the guillotine with you.
    Here endeth, the punishment.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004