1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumped! Why Me?????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ironbiter, Oct 8, 2004.

1. ironbiter

ironbiter Guest

I wanted to make this a seperate thread from the skrink running slow one because I have the same but different problem:

I have been running the latest Shrink and Decrypter since they came out and burning everything fine. Normally burning an entire DVD would take 1 to 1.5 hours. One day, I went to burn and all of a sudden, DVD Decrypter took over an hour to decrypt and DVD Shrink took 3 hours to analyze, 2 hours to encode and 2 hours to write a Nero image. Decrypter is running at 1.4x and shrink is running at 649 KB/s to 1079 KB/s now. Grr! I have burned about 150 discs without a single problem and in fact I burned two the day before.

I am running DvD Shrink, DVD43, DVD Decrypter, and Nero 6.0 on a Dell Demension with a 120 gig W.D. Carvier Special Edition HD, and 512 RAM. My DVD Burner is a LG 4040i (max burn is 4x). When running DVD Shrink (or Decrypter) my CPU useage is at 100% and my mouse curser moves choppy.

Everything else works fine on my computer...no other programs are suffering and I can burn CD-R's just fine.

I'm so frustrated because I didn't alter any settings or change anything to cause the poor performance. At first I thought my DVD drive went bad because it was running slow in Decrypter. I found out that wasn't true because decrypter rips the files to my HD for DVD Shrink. Then, I thought my RAM went bad, but I put in some RPG games that require RAM and they worked fine. I removed the programs (shrink and decrypter) from my CPU and installed earlier versions, but that didn't solve anything but give me two coasters on my next two attempts at burning.

Please help! Please! Please! Please! Please!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi ironbiter, Go into your device manager and check the IDE channels and the burner drive. All should be set to DMA not PIO. If you can't change them manually, remove them in device manager, then reboot and let Windows reinstall them for you. Windows sometime resets the IDE channels to PIO for different strange reasons. When this happens you get very SLOW speed as you are stating.
    Good Luck.

Jerry

3. ironbiter

ironbiter Guest

Thanks Jerry, I'll try that as soon as I can. DVD Shrink stopped recognizing my Nero 6.0 software and began to label the iso as EZ CD Creator. I tried to select properties to allow Nero to burn the iso, but that only created coasters. I then uninstalled Nero (to try to reinstall it) and my whole CPU crashed. I mean I get a black screen that says that my HD is operating out of the range of specifications and it won't even allow me to boot in safe mode. When I attempt, i get a blue screen that says that it's terminating the boot due to an unmountable drive error and says its shutting down to prevent damage to the CPU. I have started and re-started the system 10 times and still get that blue screen error message. At the bottom, it says that aftre reboot, if I get the error again to replace the HD. I just bought the f**king thing four months ago!!!!! WTF????

Can anyone shed some light on what has been happening to my CPU? I didn't change ANY configurations, except install the latest ASPI layer like people here recommended ti improve performance. BUT...I was having problems before that. I'm frustrated because if I have to re-format my HD, I no longer have the discs for Nero 6.0. I lost them.

Any ideas people?????

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

First off, if you reformat you can download the complete Nero 6 Ultra pack off line. You can sometimes boot off a Windows 98 or ME emergency startup disk if you have access to one and do some checks from there. If you have the XP install CD you can sometimes do some system repairs from it without a full reformat. It all depends on how bad things are messed up on your system. If it does turn out to be a HD problem then you are out of luck until you replace it.

Jerry

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

ironbiter ,
    You might try this. Turn the computer off and unplug it. Now open the case and touch the side to take ant static shock away. Now disconnect the HD cables and slide the HD from the computer. Carry the HD to a friends computer and install it as the slave on the primary IDE. You should be able now to get your Nero registrartion info from the program. If the HD has crashed then you will not be able to retrieve it. I do not think that has happened. Most HD crashes you will usually hear grinding or unusual noise which you did not say you had. I think you are having conflicts and the boot area could be compromised which will mean a re-format of the HD

6. ironbiter

ironbiter Guest

Thanks car.mike, I will try your suggestions. I don't hear any grinding or any other odd noise from the HD, so perhaps all is not lost. I called Dell tech support who went through some checks with me over the phone. She asked me to hit F12 when the Dell logo pops up, which boots me into a screen where I can check the IDE. She said that if it says "passed" then I am ok, but if it says "failed" then I am screwed. Anyway, I did what she said and the IDE check didn't say either, but rather it "timed out." I am perplexed because I just bought the drive four months ago and was only using about half of the storage space.

I'll let you know if I make headway. Thanks again.