1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumped with DTS problems

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by JonEngr, Nov 15, 2007.

1. JonEngr

JonEngr Member

I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver that's fully capable of playing all flavors of DD, DTS, etc., even DTS-HD, THX-Ultra II, and so-on. I also purchased the new Samsung 1400 Blu-Ray player to go along with the receiver. Here's my problem. Well, two problems actually. The first problem is one I really need some input on, and the second is more of an annoyance.

Problem #1:
    So, I have all of this nice, new, shiny gear, and I toss in the "Nemo" special edition DVD for my daughter. It has a "THX Setup" menu, so being the tinkerer that I am I couldn't resist. After all, who doesn't want the best audio and video for their daughter? Anyway, I go into the audio tests, and I was horrified!!! The only speakers that played as they should were the front left, right and center speakers, and when the surround speakers were supposed to be playing they only played through the front right speaker. And the worst? No sound at all came through when the sub was supposed to be playing. All of my DD DVDs play perfectly, and my speaker setup and calibration plays each speaker just as it should (so I know I have the system wired correctly). I have digital audio connected through a coax digital cable. Any thoughts or ideas of what might be happening?

Problem #2:
    When I use my HDMI as an audio source as well as a video source (with any component), it doesn't pick up the correct digital signal. Thus, it only plays through a few channels, and NO subwoofer. Thus, right now I have all of my components connected through either optical or coax digital. Any idea what the problem could be here? I did read in some forum about PCM and bitsream... which one do I choose? What exactly do they mean?

Any input on either of these topics would be greatly appreciated!

2. david66

david66 Regular member

your problem stems from the hd dvd player check the set up menu of the player

3. philzone

philzone Regular member

yep...

4. kindus

kindus Member

This might be obvious but just in case, make sure you are only using one device for bass management, ie. either your receiver or dvd player. I've found a number of systems that had bass management enabled on both the player and receiver.