1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stupid newbie with a stupid question!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by kgisking1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. kgisking1

kgisking1 Guest

Alright... I've been looking online for some turn tables and i came across this one right here: http://www.planetdj.com/i--DJ-IN-A-BOX

I noticed that there were the needles from a record player. Do you have to play records on it!? I just didn't get that.

Any Help is MUCH appreciated

Thanks

~N

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Yes, it is for playing vinyl records. That is what turntables are for. Why do you ask this question? Why didn't you "get that"?

What do you mean?

3. kgisking1

kgisking1 Guest

What i was thinking was that you would have to put the needles on the scratch pad in order for the sound to be played...

like i said... i guess it was a stupid question.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It's ancient technology from a former era, how could you be expected to understand it?

5. kgisking1

kgisking1 Guest

ok... so you could have just passed this by... BUT NO! you had to make me feel like a dumb@$$!!! I really don't appreciate that. I would prefer if you just do your stuff somewhere else.

THanks.. NOT!

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@kgisking1.... I don't know what Indochine meant but NO ONE has the right to make fun of you or ridicule you except yourself. It didn't sound like he was trying to insult you but if he was, he has no right to do that. This is a great site with a lot of very bright and knowledgable people who really like to help. We learn things from the people here and then we share what we learned...its what has made this site work for so long. If he meant to be insulting, I hope you'll stick around anyway because there are a lot of awesome people here and you can learn a lot as I have and many others. If I run across a jerk, I just ignore him because he usually pisses off the wrong people and gets thrown out of the group and banned. I hope you'll stick around and get to know some of us!

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I think Jerry1 understood what I meant, kgisking1, I wasn't calling you a dumb@ss, if I meant to do that I would have done so in a more direct fashion. I was just trying to make you feel better, because you seemed to think you had asked a dumb question. (You brought the subject up!)

I know that many people under about 30 have probably never seen an analog turntable working except in DJ clubs. My son aged 27 for a start.

There has to be balance here, between the people who ask the questions and those who answer them. If you are going to act all hurt every time somebody makes a little well meant joke, you had better quit posting on forums because I foresee a lifetime of misery ahead for you.

PS the 1990s called and they want their "... NOT!" back.

PPS That was a well meant friendly joke and I am not calling you anything.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. jenniferz

jenniferz Member

i am sorry but this is hilarious....
    my four year old knows how to play a record..

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Apparently it's not.. It's a site full of jerks and ignorant and arrogant god-like idiots, according to one sad fool who didn't like being banned for repeatedly asking for cracks/keys for pirated software http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/488086
    Another nomination for amoeba of the week in my view.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Come on fellas, in this day of CD's that you just pop in and play I can see where a newbie to record players might get a bit confused.

kgisking1,

Welcome to AD buddy. As noted record players, or turntables as fans call them, are an old, old technology that most of the younger crowd don't have much experience with but it's a technology that refuses to die! I remember as a kid having a Fisher-Price record player and bumping "The Best of Blondie" while doing my best on a coloring book. To this day there's still a goodly amount of vinyl being pressed and they sell all they make. Here's a great link to show you howphonographs evolved into the turntables we know today,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph

Many audiophiles feel that vinyl adds a sort of "warmth" to the music that digital simply can't capture and vinyl is still the standard for most DJ's. Although there are CD players that allow a person to "scrath" there's nothing that scratches like vinyl. One of our members, geestar20, DJ's and has one of the CD scratchers but doesn't like it at all - he prefers his vinyl.

The needle you refer to is called a 'cartridge' and that's what the turntable you linked to uses. Believe you me those things can be unholy expensive for the proffesional grades types! Do a google search for "turntable cartridge" and you'll see what I mean. There are also some fantastic turntables being manufactured and sold these days.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of vinyl and turntables. If you want to see a goofy old technology look up eight-track tapes.

Take care all :)

11. ireland

ireland Active member

neph and all,i still play records..

Below is the truest statement i heard in a long time..

mp3 do not have the good quality of the old records.
    and i do have a ton of records i put on tape..
    and the best part i did not have to use a computer or worry about copy protection...
    [​IMG]

12. kgisking1

kgisking1 Guest

Alright guys, i know what a record is and i know how to play them. I actually collect old Doors records and play them from time to time. with all the new technology out these days, you never know. Those needles could have been there for looks or something like that. Also to Indochine, its hard to tell the tone in which people are trying to speak from only words. I misunderstood you previous messages.

Thanks and Sorry.