1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stupid question regarding dolby ex

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by morronga6, Feb 21, 2007.

1. morronga6

morronga6 Member

i DONT KNOW IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO PLACE THIS TREAT.

I was under the impression that Dolby EX automatically meant 6.1. Today I rented employee of the month (my wife wanted to see it) and the box says Dolby EX 5.1?? I figured maybe it will matrix to the center back speaker... I have not seen the movie yet but I put it on for a second just to see if the receiver will run the 6th channel and it didn’t. The Dolby ex light goes on but the center back speaker is not activated... what is the difference between regular Dolby 5.1 surround and Dolby ex 5.1?????

2. JVC

JVC Active member

This is from Dolby's site.........

Dolby Digital EX
    Surround sound format that introduces a center rear channel to the 5.1 playback format of Dolby® Digital. This additional channel clarifies audio effects that pan from front to back and improves the realism of audio that originates from directly behind the listener. Found in: DVDs; home audio-video receivers; broadcast programming in HDTV, digital cable, and (DBS, DTH) direct broadcast satellite (DirecTV/Dish/Sky TV).

See here: http://www.dolby.com/resources/tech_library/index.cfm
    At the end of the paragraph, you can get more info......
    Maybe it's something in your settings, that isn't set right, for you to get the rear center.

3. morronga6

morronga6 Member

It looks like everything is right. if i play in 6ch stereo all of them sound. also the test option on the receiver gives me sound on all 6 speakers and "finding nemo, LOTR, star wars" plays on all the speakers also... i dont know i guess there is a ex 5.1 and ex 6.1+